Factory Five Racing Forum banner

141 - 160 of 217 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Fiberglass work sucks

Added some glass to fill in some gaps in the rear seat delete panel.

Before
ImageUploadedByAG Free1492864567.662974.jpg

Going to take it out today to make it look good
ImageUploadedByAG Free1492864608.460970.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Finished the glassing/filling/sanding to get the rear deck to fit nicely.

Going to wind up sanding down the rest of it and then using a roll-on bedliner called Monstaliner to get an even texture back. I'll wait until after I'm ready to install this for the final time before doing that (don't want to risk it getting damaged in my garage until then)

Ordered my AC setup today from Classic Auto Air. Doing custom line routing to keep the engine bay clean...so will have to figure that all out next.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Fit & Welded the rear valance to the car.
Since I'm doing a tight fit fiberglass bumper, I welded the bumper extension holes too.

Still have some finishing work to do (sand/fill/sand/etc).

I'm also going to fill in the quarter panel to rocker seam. The quarters are repops, but the rockers are original and I fear the metal might be a bit thin for welding (the car was sandblasted before I got it). I could use all-metal filler, but I really don't want to risk it cracking down the road, so I will most likely figure out how to weld it without blowing it apart.

Maybe if I used a thin metal rod to sit in the seam and then tacked that in place...anyone have any tips?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Time for a step backwards...I screwed up my radiator mounting. I welded brackets to the radiator a while back, but forgot that I needed room in front of it for the AC condenser. When I was looking for ideas, I used another build for inspiration, but didn't factor in that he didn't have AC. I feel like a moron.

I bought the AC kit from Classic Auto Air and worked on mounting the condenser. Doing a custom mount since my compressor will be on the lower passenger side.

The radiator needs to sit about 1" back from the face of the core support. It would look like crap if I just used spacers (test fit here with blocks of 1x1).

So I'm going to grid off the brackets (hopefully without screwing up the side tanks) and start over. I have a plan on a new mounting setup. Will post pics when I figure it out.

Wonder if Chip Foose made mistakes like this when he first started out.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Dan: When doing a custom build, there is bound to be some do overs. I am sure Chip and the other custom builders have their days too, so it is to be expected that anyone can get ahead of themselves once in a while. We all learn from each other, that is why we come to the forum to learn from, and sometimes, laugh with our friends online.

I hope to get back at my 70 Mustang build soon. My MaxJax MX6 lift arrived today. I couldn't believe they sent the delivery driver out with a full length semi-tractor trailer rig that had almost nothing on board. There was no way the driver could back the trailer down my driveway. A neighbor saved us with his tractor with pallet forks, otherwise the lift components would still be up at the street. It worked out, but even the driver said the trucking company doesn't give him the tools he needs to do the job. Anyway, once installed, I can get the Mustang up in the air and prepare it for the TCP full length front clip. I really worry about making such major changes to the chassis without a frame table. I guess there will be a lot of mocking up and measuring before welding it in. I am thinking of partially welding in the clip and hauling the car to a frame shop to verify alignment and then finish weld the rest of the install.

Alan

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,365 Posts
Couldn't you mount the condenser in front of the core support?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Not really. I'm using the front racing valence and it wouldn't look good with the condenser sticking out past the face of the core support.

Attached is a picture of a car I found online for reference.

I'm making progress on my new mounting solution. Putting some 1" angle on the core support. I just need to grind the brackets off the radiator and get some flat stock welded to the side. The flat stock will bolt to the side of the angle pieces. Then I can drill some holes for the condenser lines to pass through. Once everything is painted, I don't think it will be a distraction.

Attachments

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Got the old brackets off the radiator and made up the side mounting plates. Going to get with a local guy to weld these to the tanks.

With the radiator sitting on 1" square tubes on the bench, it puts the brackets where I need them.

Reference marks on the brackets & radiator so it will all line up.

My plan is to get this in the car and bolt it to the side plates...then I can drill the core support to mount the L brackets to the car. Then everything should fit perfect.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Got my radiator back from the welder and spent a couple hours getting holes in the core support brackets drilled.
Once the brackets fit well, I got the L pieces temporarily mounted to the core support.

I might redo the L bracket I have going across the top and still have to make up a similar L bracket to block off the bottom of the radiator. Then I'll work on making brackets to mount the Ford Contour twin fans.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Got my Maier rear bumper on the car. Used bumper brackets made by Mustangs to Fear and bonded them to the maier bumper. Not a perfect fit (didn't expect them to be), but it worked better than trying to use the Ford steel bumper brackets.

I'm going to be painting the bumper body color. I have a bit of filling to do on the ends of the bumper where it doesn't match up well to the quarter panels. Shouldn't be too much work to get it to look better. The blue tape shows what needs to be added to the bumper.

I'll also need to tweak the side gap on the passenger side just a bit.

The one thing I don't think I can fix is a bit of an overhang on the bottom driver side.

Maybe I can cut a slice out of the bumper and glass it back to bring the lower edge up a bit...but I'm not sure if the risk of screwing it up even worse is worth the chance. I may leave that up to the body shop to figure out.

I don't really want to slap a bunch of filler on the rear valence to take up the difference and moving the valence isn't an option (I already welded it to the car).

When the car is down on the ground, it's pretty low, so maybe it won't be noticeable enough to worry about. I know its there and can see it, but not sure if anyone else would really see it. Might leave it for a while and ask some folks to check it out and see if they notice anything wrong with that area that needs attention.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,365 Posts
Not sure how show car you are going w/ your Mustang but I think that bumper fits just about as well as the OE panels fit when the car was built. It is funny sometimes to see an oldie and realize a Kia is much better put together than any of them were back in the 60s and 70s. BTW, have you decided on a color yet?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
That's so true...we're so used to the fit & finish of cars today that it's easy to lose sight of how they were built in the 60's. I found this picture of a survivor and you can see the original bumper gaps aren't very good at all.

I'm planning on waiting a while to see how it looks when the car is at ride height and on the ground...if you can't see it at all, then I may just leave it alone. I know Whitby can fix it...we'll just see if it's worth the money to do it.

Planning on wimbledon white with blue stripes (and the GT350 stripe on the rocker)

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
This is pretty much what my car will look like.
This is an original 1966 GT 350 that has been modified with the front r valence.

Mine won't have the side scoops and will have the louvers in the back, but other than that, this is the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Been watching your progress Dan, this is my favorite Mustang, ever since a guy showed up at one of our cruises and followed me. Not sure what was done to it, but that 289 with stacks sounded Angry. I could hear him coming up when he was in my rear view mirror. :smile2:
First time I saw that rear window, it took me a while to figure it out. What are they called with the vent at the top? (I'm assuming for improved air flow / ventilation)
Also my favorite color combination, pure ICONIC!

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
The original GT350R model was a race version...only a handful were made. They replaced the rear window with plexiglass and made it so there was an opening at the top to evacuate air in the cab better. The vent windows just didn't suck enough air out.

Here's a good article with pictures of an original R model.
This 1965 Shelby GT350 R should bring in $1M (or more)

GT350's are like Cobras. Of the original 4,000 made, only 12,000 are still in existence today.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Not too much to report.

I spent last weekend getting my shop organized. Bought a steel shelving unit from Home Depot and got everything stacked up. Sure takes a lot of boxes to build a car.

Started to mess around with the doors. The driver side door was mounted when I got the car and had some metal added to fill in the lower gap. I mounted the passenger door and will probably add some metal to close up the bottom. From what I can tell, originally the lower gaps were like this...but since I've got the car apart, wouldn't hurt to use some filler rod to close it up a bit. Some 3/16" filler rod would do the trick.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Dan: I hear you about getting the space organized. I need to go out an reorganize my garage because my new TCP front clip arrived today. Last week I bought a 2017 Mustang GT at auction to source my Coyote engine and 6R80 transmission. I haven't even thought about the space for those parts once they come out of the Mustang. I have got to identify and sell off the 302 and C4 transmission that came out of the '70 Mustang before I even think about pulling the Coyote engine and transmission of the GT. When I started my garage looked more than large enough for my build, now not so much. Like you, I need to get some more storage racks so storage can go vertical. I need to get my pictures hosted and create a build thread on VMF where I go by Boss5Oh. I watch both forums to see the posts on your progress, looking forward to seeing more progress soon.

Alan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks awesome!

Wish I could see the pics from the earlier posts. Photobucket is really killing a lot of fantastic older threads by annihilating the pics :( (not just here but on forums everywhere! )

141 - 160 of 217 Posts