81 - 100 of 217 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Nice! Who built your 9" housing?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I've found it's much easier to assemble the 3d member to the housing if the housing is rotated so the mounting surface is up. It's a lot easier to just set the 3d member on the studs than to try and wrestle it into position. You will also need a torque wrench adapter to torque the lower nuts when assembling the housing to the 3d member, there is simply not enough room around the pinion support area to get a socket on.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Thanks for the tips. I don't have my gears yet anyway (been waiting for them to ship for a while), so I'm going to get the axle housing positioned before I put the third-member on.

Once the brackets are welded, it will be easy to assemble it the way you suggest.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I'm done with the front suspension, so time to work on the rear. Still no gears, so I made some 'wheels' out of plywood. They're 24" in diameter and using a template I found online, they're bolted to the axle housing pretty close to dead-center.

This is just a rough fit. The plumb bob is hanging with the wheelbase measured at 108" and the 'wheel' is pretty close to centered right on that line. Does it look right to you or should it be back a bit more?

The wood I have clamped across the bottom is so I can get a measurement from the bottom of the rocker to the ground. Should be able to figure out my ride height using that for reference.

I haven't messed with the left/right position. I might cut some 'windows' in my wheel so I can easily measure each side using the frame rail as a reference..but I think visually I should probably measure from the fender lip to the wood wheel to determine if the housing is centered. I think it's more important that it look right with each fender lip than to be perfect where people can't see it.

I think I'm going to draw in a 17" circle to simulate the wheel...that way I can see where the wheel rim will be in relation to the fender.

I need to move the dolly forward (or get it off the dolly and onto jack stands) before I can weld any brackets, so I'm going to try to find some help this weekend to do that. Then I can get serious about the axle position.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Got the rear end brackets tacked in place and welded on the housing.

Should be able to get the rear end assembled now and will be able to measure for wheels soon.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1476045782.312502.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1476045796.962806.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
That's some nice looking welds there, you should be proud!

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Rear end is assembled and installed.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1477861218.289832.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1477861236.396447.jpg

Next I will order tires and will find someone to rent a wheel measuring tool from ( just to make sure I get the wheel fit perfect since I want a couple inch drop).

Once I have the wheels, I can move the car over to my lift so I can trial fit brake and fuel lines before coating the underside with sound deadener and then doing the sound & heat coating on the inside.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Rear end is assembled and installed.

View attachment 273593

View attachment 273601

Next I will order tires and will find someone to rent a wheel measuring tool from ( just to make sure I get the wheel fit perfect since I want a couple inch drop).

Once I have the wheels, I can move the car over to my lift so I can trial fit brake and fuel lines before coating the underside with sound deadener and then doing the sound & heat coating on the inside.

Here ya go. Wheel Fit tool
Wheel Fit RENTAL (Ultimate Kit) - $49.99 : 1320 Wheels

I have the Percys Wheel Rite tool, and it's not all it's cracked up to be, the one in the link is much better.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Thanks for the link. I just ordered the tool.

I'm going with the Cragar Eliminator wheels in a 17". They come in two backspace options (4.5 & 4.75).

Not 100% sure on the tire size I want to use yet.
I figure I will find a used tire store around and get a couple of testers to check with.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Going to be a cool project Dan. I REALLY like the GT350's, my favorite Mustang!

For 17" tires, I don't know what width you are planning, but I just replaced my front tires with the Mickey Thompson Street Comps and really like the look and performance so far. Put over 500 miles on them at the end of October, crusing the NW Arkansas Ozarks and I really liked them. Haven't tried them in the rain, but I hear they are very good there too.
I know they have limited sizes though, 245, 275, & 315.
I just think an Iconic American Muscle car should be rolling on American Tires (I know they are Cooper and made off-shore somewhere). :wink2:

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Rented the WheelFit tool from 1320wheels.com and did some fitting over the last 2 days.

With the car lowered how I want, a 245/45/17 with a setting if 8" wide and 4 1/2" backspace didn't work. Even if I rolled the fender lip, it would still seem really close.

The wheels I want only come in a 4 1/2" BS, so not too many options.

I test fit a 225/45/17 with 7" - 4 1/2" BS and it looks better in the back and is ok up front too. Still need to roll the back fender a bit, but not as much.

The 225 doesn't look too bad width wise. I think the original wheels were quite a bit smaller, right?

ImageUploadedByAG Free1478826523.807557.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1478826534.760615.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1478826548.198360.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1478826565.043659.jpg

Also bought a Lokar eBrake setup.

Saw some posts online on how to make that work on the car, so I will start mocking that up while I wait to see if anyone runs a Black Friday sale for wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
If you have not yet upholstered those fox seats yet, be sure to inspect the backs for cracks in the frames down near the hinge points. It is a notorious problem that can be easily fixed before the upholstery goes on.

·
OT Moderator
13,926 Posts
Sweet ride Dan!!! Very sweet!

Have you had to sell any human body parts, or family members yet to fund the build? Ha.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Thanks Derald...it will be a long time before I'm ready and will definitely have them checked out.

Rob...still have all of my body parts. So far, I'm doing OK with the budget on this one. Buying some used parts and hunting down good deals for the new stuff is helping a lot. I just bought the wheels I'm using today. Found them new on eBay for $469 for a set of 4...I had budgeted $800...good score for the day.

·
OT Moderator
13,926 Posts
Seems like a heck of a deal.

Have you picked out a painter yet?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Might be a little late but have you checked out the various wide body options out there. Those open up a whole world of better wheel/tire options to lay more rubber down.

MustangDepot.com has some less expensive options.

Maier Racing (maierracing.com) offers the Italian Monster Kit that looks a lot like Ken Block's nutty 1965 Ford Mustang Hoonicorn.
Kits Archives - Maier Racing

For those with deep pockets, Ringbrothers makes an absolutely bonkers Carbon Fiber 1965-1966 Mustang widebody kit.
1965 Mustang - Custom Wide Body Kit - Ringbrothers

From what I've read in your build these might not work into your style or budget but food for thought.

81 - 100 of 217 Posts