Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 217 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You can't call that a roll cage...there aren't that many bars in a prison cell. :)

I'm definitely going to install the export brace and monte-carlo bar to help with the front end.

I am looking at options for a pre-fabbed cage with a removable cross brace so I can mount a harness to it. Thinking about making it a bolt-in option in case I ever decide to install the rear seat.

Saw this one online (I think it was mentioned on one of the other forums).
65-73 Ford Mustang Roll Bars & Roll Cages | Autopower Industries
Look at the Street-Sport Roll Bar. Price is about $600.

Any other options you've found (other than a full custom prison cell)?

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
All joking aside - he is right... the early Mustangs can use some help in the stiffness department.

From the pics, it looks like yours doesn't have the front torque boxes inside the fenders - they cover the angled part of the floor pan / toe board and work to stiffen things up by connecting the front sub-frame to the rocker panel and the floor pan itself. They're not easy to install, but they do make a difference.

Also, even though it probably already has seat platforms in it, you may want to consider removing those and replacing them with the convertible version, which is a one-piece affair that crosses over the top of the trans tunnel. And, while those are out, you can add the "C" channel convertible inner rocker reinforcements, too.

Check out any of the sources for sheet metal and you can get an idea of what all these parts look like.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'll get more pictures later this week when I get stuff cleaned out and you guys can tell me what I need to buy. It's just money, right?

I know he already has sub-frame connectors welded in, so that saves me one thing to do.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Oops. Here are pictures

ImageUploadedByAG Free1454551931.415442.jpg

Seat risers aren't attached. If I do a roll bar, won't that stiffen things enough so I can use these?
ImageUploadedByAG Free1454551945.499982.jpg

Am I missing torque boxes? I thought I read that they weren't in the 65 model.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1454552007.090216.jpg

Inside passenger wheel well
ImageUploadedByAG Free1454552063.071371.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Some of the parts on the tables

ImageUploadedByAG Free1454552114.379444.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1454552130.515944.jpg

We stored the stainless trim and interior panels up in the loft since I won't be needing those for a while.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,600 Posts
Torque box is driver side only

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This is inside the driver side wheel well. Am I missing anything?

Here are some pieces I found in the car that I can't figure out where they go. Any ideas?

For the seat risers, was looking online and saw that some guys plug weld these in place. How far apart should I drill the holes for the plug welds? Every 2" enough or closer?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got the set of assembly manuals in the mail today.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1454958505.578658.jpg

Don't want to hear anyone complain about the FFR manual ever again. This might just be a bit more work than I thought. :)

ImageUploadedByAG Free1454958542.783439.jpg

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Spent the week getting the seat risers ready to weld in. Have both of them done (had to do some beating and bending on the driver's side to get it to sit flat.

This shows the passenger side, but both sides are done now. I also sprayed the areas to be welded with a weld-thru primer.

I ordered all of the suspension, steering and 9" rear today. Also ordered the dynacorn 2 piece front torque boxes the other day. I also talked to a guy who makes a roll bar in the style of the original shelby bar the other day and am getting one of those. Mostly so I have a place to mount the seat belts…but also for the look. I'm going to add a brace behind the side panels, but it's not going to be anything like the cage Chris has.

Big hit to my build savings account, but I should be able to call it a roller after I get the stuff all installed.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got the seat risers welded in.

My welds aren't pretty, but they are solid. Got good penetration through the floor pan and didn't blow any holes through it. I put the plug weld holes about 1 1/2" apart, so I hopefully that will help make up for the spots where the holes aren't 100% full of metal.

I'd need more practice before I'm comfortable with some of the other things that need welding (going to shore up the shock towers and have a shelby style roll bar coming soon), but I'll keep at it.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
Looks great Dan! Wish I would have seen this earlier, as some folks cut down the seat risers a bit so your head's not so close to the ceiling... One thing I don't like about the seats in mine... ed

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm 5'10", but have long legs and a short torso. I did a trial fit with the ratty stock seats I got with the car and I have about 5" of headroom. I am going to use aftermarket seats, but from what I've read, I shouldn't lose any headroom.

I'm going to use a one piece headliner that mounts close to the roof skin, so I should have most of that when I'm done too.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm installing front torque boxes to stiffen up the frame. Started on the passenger side last Friday and finished it up tonight.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1456976428.865382.jpg

Taking a short vacation to see the nascar race is Vegas this weekend, so I will tackle the driver side next.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Driver side torque box installed.

This side when a bit quicker and my welding skills are improving as I go. Still not good enough to want them to be in an area of the car that would be seen...but better than when I started this project a short time ago.

Found a motor for the car. Bought it a bit early, but it was a good deal, so I pulled the trigger.

It's a 302 with Dart Iron Eagle Heads and a Holly carb. It has a bit over 3,000 miles on it and is complete from carb to pan. It's only rated at 305hp...but it came out of a running Backdraft Cobra that's getting a major performance upgrade, so it should be a problem free starting point for me.

For now, this is what my budget would support. I figured as a future winter project (after the car is done), I could always pull it out and make a stroker out of it if I wanted more power.

I'll still need the trans & bellhousing, but I can watch the ads for a good deal while I work on other stuff.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm installing a Shelby style roll bar. It doesn't do much for chassis stiffening or rollover protection, but it will give me a place to mount a 5 point harness and it has the vintage look I'm going for.

The bar came with brackets and was supposed to be a close fit, but since my car had the floors replaced, it didn't fit that well. So I cut off the lower mount and am making mounts from scratch. Found the idea on the Mustangs to Fear website.

This shows the gap at the bottom.

Here's the mount on the driver side tacked to the floor.

First time notching tube…fit came out pretty good. Found a couple of videos on youtube and practiced on a piece of scrap tube I bought at the recycling yard first…then dove in with the real thing.

Here's the passenger side with the lower mount welded in and the rear leg cut and ready to weld.

My welds still won't win any beauty contests, but I'm getting better at it.

After I get seats, I'll mount them so I can put the cross-bar for the belts in the right spot. I'll make the cross bar removable too in case I need to get into the back of the car for anything.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Been keeping busy doing things until the suspension pieces arrive.

My night vision isn't very good (laser treatments to treat retinopathy from being diabetic ruins the night vision), so getting the weld torch in the right spot hasn't been easy. I made up a small flashlight holder that attaches to the handle and it helps a whole bunch (and it's not in the way).

I know there's a tool made for this, but I couldn't find it online and this one was free - even the flashlight was a freebie at Harbor Freight last week.

I welded up some parts of the shock towers for extra strength. Here's the passenger side.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Welded the from frame rails to help keep things together a bit better.

The passenger side section area where the upper & lower control arms will straddle the frame (where the shock tower is) needed more work than the driver side. But I was able to get in there nicely with my welding torch and get a series of good tacks & short beads in there.

I seam sealed the driver side too...waiting for more to come via Amazon so I can do the passenger side and finish up some spots on the driver side frame.

Passenger Side

Driver Side

21 - 40 of 217 Posts