Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,102 Posts
Gen 1/2 or Gen 3? What pedal box? If the newer Gen 3 with a Wilwood pedal box, this has been asked several times and most agree (including me) the frame construction really doesn't allow space for a booster. Whether vacuum or hydroboost. How new are they and have they been thoroughly broken in/bedded? In any case, what brakes do you have currently? Lots of options to upgrade brakes or even easier upgrade the pads you're using to something more aggressive. Many who have not been happy with their brakes initially went to a more aggressive pad and were happy.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. Mine is a Gen 2 and it has the four wheel disk Wilwood big brake setup including the pedals. Can you recommend a more aggressive pad? The car has about a 1000 miles on it and I would say they are broken in/bedded. The brakes are marginal and feel a little spongy. I usually need to pump them a bit before braking and cornering. I've bled them, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

John Dol - I would be interested in learning more about what you did to put a booster on your car.

Thanks for all your help...really appreciate it!

· Registered
6,102 Posts
Thanks for the information. Mine is a Gen 2 and it has the four wheel disk Wilwood big brake setup including the pedals. Can you recommend a more aggressive pad? The car has about a 1000 miles on it and I would say they are broken in/bedded. The brakes are marginal and feel a little spongy. I usually need to pump them a bit before braking and cornering. I've bled them, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

John Dol - I would be interested in learning more about what you did to put a booster on your car.

I too have used the Wilwood big brake setup on several builds. They came with BP-10 compound pads and likely that's what you have. Something to confirm. I've been happy with mine. Some change to a BP-20 though. More aggressive. Maybe call Wilwood and see what they say. Maybe there are other choices. But feeling marginal and spongy? Need to pump them? No way. Something is wrong. This should never be the case. You still have air in the system, something defective, leaking, whatever. You have to get that resolved before even thinking about power assist. You're potentially covering up a problem. Many don't recommend power assist on Wilwoods anyway.

· Premium Member
18,265 Posts
You still have air in the system. Wilwoods can sometimes be a PITA to bleed. I like to use Russell speed bleeders. Makes the job quick and easy. Fix this problem before moving on to anything else. Until the system is completely purged, nothing will improve it. You'll just be wasting time and money.

As Edwardb said, you probably need to change your brake pads. I didn't like the BP-10's at all. No bite, and seemed to have no initial bite at all. The BP-20 are a big improvement.

Did you modify your brake pedal?

Do not add a power booster to Wilwoods. Gordon tells that it will turn the brake pedal to an On-Off switch. Very difficult to modulate.

· Premium Member
18,265 Posts

· Registered
6,102 Posts
Do you know what size or p/n Russell speed bleeders I need? BTW, I have the BP-20 pads on order.
The spec sheet for the Factory Five big brake options calipers list these as the bleeders: Wilwood Disc Brakes with 1/4-28 Bleed Screws. Very common size and lots of options for speed bleeders. I'm sure that's a good process or Bob wouldn't have recommended it. I have, however, had no issues with pressure bleeding your exact setup with no air after a couple of times around. Like speed bleeders, it's a one person operation.

Edit: Like the ones Bob posted while I was typing. :p

· Registered
3,667 Posts

This is what I used:

Power Brake Kit - Whitby Motorcars

Instead of using the piece that goes around the booster in the rail, I cut a section out of the 1" rail then inverted it and welded it back in place to create a little pocket. Looks better in my opinion.

HTH

John

· Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone installed power brakes (booster with Master Cylinder) on their Daytona? I know the space is tight, but would like to improve my braking.
Thanks - Ron
Whether vacuum or hydroboost. How new are they and have they been thoroughly broken in/bedded? In any case, what brakes do you have currently? Lots of options to upgrade brakes or even easier upgrade the pads you're using to something more aggressive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts