Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting my build but I'm looking to upgrade the 5.0.
The engine is in good shape, I'm dong a valve job on it buts thats about it.
I'd like to add power but don't want to dump alot of money up front.
I was thinking of adding a BBK intake upgrade.
They have a kit that gives you a larger throttle body, fuel rail system and manafold.
It's called the "SSI".
Has anybody had any experience with this.
Any other ideas on adding power at not too high a price?

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
I upgraded my 5.0 I went all Eddelbrock. Heads, Cam, Chain, intake, carb, $3000. Is that good or Too Much?

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Take a look at some of the Mustang site like stangnet.com or corral for hint on upgrades running from free (best way to tune, set throttle sensor, indexing plugs, etc) to limit builds.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The sites that Kevin mentioned also have a classified section that you can buy upgrades. I bought an intake, heads, throttle body, and mass air meter. This gave me alot more HP at a BIG savings. Not a bad way to build your first engine if trying to stay within a budget like me. You can bargain with the sellers on price too.

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
If I were on a strict budget with a stock 5.0, I'd get a set of GT40P (explorer) heads and use either the matching explorer intake or if the budget allowed, an edelbrock intake set up. The whole upgrade with the heads and edelbrock intakes would be about $1000-1200. -dan

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
aftermarket fuel rails would be purely cosmetic at this stage.

Edit: I see this intake requires them for configuration reasons. very little testing on it and i have read a few bad experiences. For the $, I would stick with the cobra intake or the explorer intake for much much less.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Have the egr bump removed in the heads ,gasket match them should be inexpensive (Relatively) get an FRPP cam or Summitt (cheapest ) cam and kit and a better intake .I like the Edelbrock , but an explorer combo can be had Cheap. That should net you 50hp. Underdive pullies are a great bang for the buck We have a fairmont .vintage 1978 with a well beaten shortblock the above mods ,x cam, but we use a carb it goes 12-20 to 12-40 all the time. full weight car less seats Bob
EDIT sorry only on the first cup of joe , use Felpro 1250 as template for the intake ports and felpro 1415 for the exhaust port template.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,075 Posts
TK54,
I too up graded my 5.0 with mostly good used parts(heads,intake,MAF,ect) Saved some$$$ & had some fun "horse-trading" for parts. Next build, you kinda know what works & what doesn't without spending alot of $$$. Have fun---

Butch

·
Banned
130 Posts
TK54

I think that it is fair to say that the stock heads are the limiting factor as far as hp goes. Adding a large throttle body, manifold etc really will not do much of anything until heads with bigger valves are installed.

DD

·
Registered
120 Posts
TK54,
I used the Trick-Flow track heat package.It includes heads,cam,lifters,roller rockers and push rods.Their adds state 360 horsepower with a 9.0 compression ratio.

·
Registered
905 Posts
When building my engine, used E303 cam, larger TB, larger MAF, Cobra intake. Ran car on dyno compared to other cars with no change on the same dyno and only came up with a few HP more. Seems the best place to put $ is in the heads, the rest is just feew good.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Save your pennies and start there since any other accessory you buy won't really help without the heads first. Been there.

The most popular head packages from loweest price to highest are:
Edelbrock Performer RPM
Trick Flow TFS
AFR 165

The Performer RPMs are your best bet to get it all done for a low price. Also if you don't mind doing a little porting yourself, you can get an entire explorer intake set pretty inexpensive. (approx $250) This would give you a 65mm throttle body, upper intake that doesn't need porting with the heads listed above, and the explorer lower intake which is a little better than stock but can be ported to fully utilise 250cfm heads. (www.tmossporting.com for everything you ever wanted to know about porting stock and explorer heads)

Good luck!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
If possible start with a set of hi po heads. These are the bigest restriction for future mods.
Aftermarket heads will give the biggest gains but any improved head will be better then stock heads. If you decide to do further upgrades you will find less improvemnt unless better heads are used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts