Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folk ! Got a big decision to make, use a 97 Cobra 32v donor, or a supercharged, sprayed, 5.0 donor.... whats gonna work on the easy way? I wanna run 15" hilibrands and get as close to an authentic look as possible.
I have read the FFR manual about 12 times ( 5.0) and it looks cut and dry. What LARGE difference am I gonna come up against if I use the SN 95 Cobra? You know, steering colum, tread widith... where the shifter sits....I am pulling what hair I have left out trying to decide if a fox or a sn95 would work, either or, both the same? good and bad, easy, hard...
Let me know what you think... Thanks. Jerry

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The DOHC look a little bit like the original 427 cammer engines in these cars. Especially if you go carbed with it.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,040 Posts
The 5.0 build is the easiest. The 4.6 DOHC Cobra will work but is more work. The FFR kit was designed around the 1987-1993 Mustang donor and then adapted to accept the newer Mustangs. The biggest difference in the 2 donor builds you are looking at is the wiring issues.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Junior Charter Member
395 Posts
I had the same issue and here is what I know so far:
I bought an 87 GT with a low mileage rebuilt 5.0 EFI with stock T-5 transmission and 373 rearend. I drove the car and it was plenty powerfull for me. I took everything off this car ready to use all the parts and make a 100% donor build even down to brakes, steering rack, wiring harness, etc... all parts that I didn't use were sold for a little less then the cost of the donor. Now all the parts are sitting in the garage waiting for cleaning, rebuilding and installing. Along comes this ad on ebay for a Cobra from "Midwest Cobras and Classics" with a perfect brand new 4.6 with stacked injection, a Tremec T45 transmission and a 4 link 3" shortened rearend going for sold $60k. They were also the guys that built the one that went for $72k on Barrett Jackson last year. I fell in love with their cars. About 2 months later they had a kit for sale which I bought (I got a good deal on it). In their shop they had a brand new Ford Racing 4.6 32v DOHC duplicate setup as in the car on ebay. After selling a couple of motorcycle, and a lot of calls back to them, I bought the engine transmission stetup from them.
I asked them the same questions you had.
From what I gather, the setup will work just fine.
Order the kit telling them that this will have the 4.6 so all prep will be done for that engine.
Transmission is no problem, shifter will end up in the same place.
They are using a power steering rack and power steering pump from the 4.6 L, with no problems hooking up to the FFR steering shaft. They also used the Hydroboost and master cylinder brake system. (I am going that way as well.)
They did say that the full length headers sold by FFR are a bit tricky, but will fit properly if I enlarge the transmission mounting hole a bit.
Since I didn't have a wiring harness for that car, I am going with the Redline Management system that comes with the engine, attached to a standard Painless wiring harness. I'll bet that you can use your harness out of the 97.

Now I can only tell you what they told me, but after reading this 4.6 forum, I have clearly come to appreciate the difference that the 4.6 will make in the looks and performance. It is a very stout, almost Hemi-like feel to it which makes this engine stand out in a crowd. I hope it is all worth it.
Now I have to find a new home for all the 5.0 donor parts. Sorry for the long winded explaination.
Best luck to whatever you decide. Keep us posted on your decision.
Don P

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Just ship me all those 5.0 donor parts. I'll clean 'em up and put 'em to good use :D

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it is done...... Picked up a excellent donor today.... 90 GT, Vortech V1, and a bottle of NOS hooked up. All the goodies, MSD advance/retard, 255 fuel pump, big injectors, 4.10 rear....brand new 17" gunmetal cobra r's... All rust free. Should be able to get some back from the excellent body..... Whew glad thats overwith... Now I don't need to cut my Cobra Mustang up...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts