Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'm looking at an auto trans build with a coyote 5.0 with a start date in late 2011. I have seen that a bunch of people have used the 4R70W for different builds, but I was wondering if anyone has experience working with the newer 5r55s? I happen to have one laying around so I'm kinda hoping I can make use of it and save some $$$. Any pros cons advice warnings GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
J Moore

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Can you get an aftermarket controller for a 5r55? There are several companies that make them for AODEs and 4R70Ws. The Coyote control package is for a manual, so it doesn't control the transmission.

Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you get an aftermarket controller for a 5r55? There are several companies that make them for AODEs and 4R70Ws. The Coyote control package is for a manual, so it doesn't control the transmission.

Pete
Yeah I have been in touch with a few performance transmission shops (tci auto comes to mind) and they have a stand alone control unit. It's pricey though.

J Moore

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Some of the gurus can weigh in with more authority than I and you can check some of the AT forums (clickclickracing.com for one); but from what I understand, the method they used to get the fifth gear is what reduces the torque rating (700 ft/lb vs 550 ft/lbs). I considered going with the 5R55 but am going with the 4R70W for that reason. As Pete said you'll have to have a trans conttoller and a shifter. At this point I'm probably going with Baumann Optishift controller and Lokar shifter.
If you go with a carb, you'll need to get a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) signal but a kit to retrofit one to a carb is available. I'm going with an aftermarket EFI system for my 351W so the TPS signal isn't a problem. I'm not familiar with the mod motors but I'm sure there are some things unique to using them but again there are some gurus available to help out. Arrowhead has a good site with pics of his build that might interest you.
Good Luck, keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man I wish this was a more recent thread. 5R55S transmissions are garbage for high HP/Torque applications. How do I know you ask? Because I was able to smoke the TCI Super Street Fighter 5R55S rated for over 1000hp not once, not twice, but 3 times in a roughly 6 month period. They don't hold up and I'm swapping to a 4R70W. Man that felt good to get off the chest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.