Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, fired up for the 1st time roday. Had a timing a fireing oerder at 1st but man it runs perfect now. What a blast.

Now onto the body work.

A quick question:

Fuel guge jumps from full to the gas level, back and forth erractically, bad ground??
I am running autometer vintage gauges with stock efi harness.

2nd question. I need to set the timing with a light. What is the best timing, I am not running cats, and I am not worried about emmisions at this point.

THanks to everyone so far on the forum, this is the most fun project I have had ever.

Pat

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
It's a big accomplishment. I like wheels, a little of this and a little of that.

Rick

·
Senior Charter Member
173 Posts
Pat,

Congratulations on the go cart stage! I had the same problem with the fuel guage. I found that I had a bad fuel level sender in the fuel tank. After replacing it, things are fine. The way the circuit works calls for full guage deflection when the sensor lead to the guage is open. When the tank is near empty, the level sensor indicates minimum impedance (like a near short)on the sense lead that causes the guage to read near empty. So, if the sender happens to be intermittently open (or for that matter if there is an intermittent open in the wiring from the sender to the guage) you will experience the fluctuation you describe. Try checking your wiring and if there is no intermittent open, your fuel sender in the tank is probably the problem.

Good luck chasing it down.

DogCatcher
:rolleyes:

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, i used the old fuel sender, probably the culprit.
yeah i am using the rear wheels shown, my other 2 are out getting stripped so i can etch prime them, plus these will be good for the front until it is lined up properly.

what a blast so far

pat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pat,
I suggest you set the timing for 14 degrees before TDC. Before setting the timing, remove the little plug in the wiring harness near where it attaches to the distributor. This will disconnect the computer and allow you to set the timing correctly. After adjusting to 14 degrees, reinstall the plug!
PSS

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
Pat,
Congratulations!
You've done a great job on your FFR.
Now it's on to body work. Are you going to go most of it yourselF?
Best regards,
Chuck
"Mustang Medic"

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi

yes i am doing all the body and paint myself. i used to do that when i was going thru college. I did my own 70 chevelle ss when i was 19. i like body work, i have the feel for it, many people dont understand about how to feel for dips and uneven surfaces.

My color will be "sonic blue" its actually from a mid 50's fender stratocaster guitar. the stripes and wheels will be a pearl while. I have some very cool graphics planned for the hood and trunk which will be rock and roll related. I cant wait to get that part done.

I may not win any awards for whats under the hood, but I bet I will for paint work.

thanks

pat

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts