Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Absolutely gorgeous day and we're off for a final drive of the season, pull out of the driveway, go for second gear and clutch pedal goes to the firewall and nothing happens. I knew immediately it was something in the clutch linkage that let go. Fortunately, if it was going to happen, it happened at the very best of times, close to home, not in traffic and I was able to find a turnaround that didn't require a stop.

Turns out the cable broke right at the ferrule at the bellhousing. This was a brand new cable with only 4800 miles on it - not something I would expect. Upon closer inspection, I bolted the ferrule directly to the clutch arm so any flexing required by the clutch arm movement would concentrate right at the cable ferrule joint and that's exactly where it broke. It should have been no surprise and I should have foreseen it at installation, but I didn't.

The obvious solution is a ball joint of some sort at the clutch arm to accomodate any movement and flexing. I can probably come up with something that'll work, but I'm thinking there's got to be something off-the-shelf for just that purpose. Any body got a lead?
Thanks.

Tom

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Tom,
What bellhousing are you using? McLeod & Lakewood bellhousings misalign the cable which will cause the cable to fail. I make a fork extention that is a bolt=on and will make the cable a straight shot to the fork.
I also stock OEM cables and have them on special at $50.00 for two of them....
Mike Forte

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Well there ya have it, that would explain the breakage I had in my Mustang. Bob

·
Cone Killer
1,726 Posts
I broke my cable a couple of weeks ago. Just a hint, if you have to drive it into the garage on the starter, pull the distributor wire.

I swear, that engine has never caught that fast in its life. A running engine, in gear, headed to towards the back of the garage is enough to wake you up!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a McLeod bellhousing and that would explain it. The misalignment should have been obvious but once the engine is in the car, it's very difficult to see the conection, much less check for proper alignment. Mike, I'll be in touch.

And Red, yes I did consider the event you mentioned in one of my nighmare scenarios. Unfortunately (fortunately), my Tremec locks me out of a start in gear, so my wife and I were left pushing (uphill) it into the garage - not highly recommended either.

Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are the McLeod and Lakewoods both aftermarket ? I'm using the stock one off the 91 donor. Any similar problems with a donor ?
Thanks.

·
10,171 Posts
Whatever you do use a FORD cable... the inner sheating is way better.. slides better.. I had an aftermarket and it was stiff as all get out.. switched it out to the Ford unite and it felt like a hydraulic clutch....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts