Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day is finally here. What a long, strange trip it's been. At just over 2 years and 2000 miles from where it all began, FFR4752 joins the class of '05. It's still not legal and still has some kinks to work out but I don't have any more parts in boxes that need to be put on.

My car is your basic donor build. I had a very good donor (my '87 GT I bought new) so very little had to be done other than cleanup of parts. A few new things here and there but it's pretty well stock. My goal was $18K and I don't think I made that. But I'm sure I'm under $20K and may be under $19K. This includes the fantastic body work and paint job Gordon Levy did for me.

Over time I'm sure I'll upgrade. It's been a supreme act of willpower when I see all the awesome toys you guys put on your cars. I'm not really happy with the wheels and the gauges so these will probably be the first to be upgraded. And once I get used to the horsepower, I'll start some engine work. But for now, I'm pretty happy with the result. I went and got some gas today and even got my first "Is that an original?" followed by a "That's awesome, dude!". :D

[Speech]Thanks to the South Carolina guys for the inspiration, to the AZ guys for the motivation. Thanks to all of you on the forum who've answered so many of my questions and thanks to Factory Five for making it all possible.[/Speech]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
Very nice looking car. $20,000 including a Levy paint job is very impressive. You must have very good willpower for resisting the urge to spend money as many on this forum do. Have fun!

·
Senior Charter Member
645 Posts
That's a very nice car at any price but at less than $19K - OUTSTANDING!!!! Shows what can be done with a good plan and hard work.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,608 Posts
I want to see the reciepts!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the kind words.The color is Ford Redfire/BMW Sterling Gray (contrary to my forum name, as Gil already noted
). I fell in love with the color a few years ago when I saw it on a Mustang. I made my paint choice right then.

I forgot to post the build details...

'87 GT donor, stock SD EFI - Krylon rebuild ( ;) )
3:08 Rear, T5 with King Cobra clutch
3-link with coilovers and FFR rear lowers
Manual 18:1 rack
Dual rollbars & Street Performer seats
Fully insulated with carpeted trunk
Custom lowered battery box in trunk
Custom screw-together top rollbar bolts
Paint & bodywork by Levy Racing

I guess that's about it. Short list :( :D

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Awesome job...most builders can do a nice job with a $35K budget, but I will go out on a limb and say that for what you have spent, yours is the nicest build. Great work, looks real nice!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
941 Posts
Beautiful job! Great restraint, to keep it that close to your budget. You've got yourself one awesome ride; Drive With Pride!

The Redfire paint is beautiful, I liked it as soon as I saw it on the new Mustang, myself, and the stripes are a good compliment, too. I also like the wheels; they look close to the original Shelby "Sunburst" wheels.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,830 Posts
A beautiful car, excellent workmanship! I picked up my kit 2 years ago last week, hope to join you as a graduate soon.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts