Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow guys I finally finished. I went from a powerjection III unit to the FAST EZ2.0 speedmaster 8 stack. I started it today and ran like a champ need to do some more tuning but it fired Now I will go through everything that I needed to go through as I felt I was the only one that has ever installed this on a 429/460 engine. Speedmaster tech support did not have the answers when i would call them with a few very costly and aggravating issues.

I purchased the intake and fuel injection kit from Jegs they had the best deal.

Then you need to purchase the TPS, MAP, IAC, ATS, these sensors together will cost around $250. The kicker is you will need to get the TPS sensor mount which is around $50, know one ever told me I needed this not even speedmaster so It took a few weeks to figure this out by doing research and looking at pics of other systems (Aggravation No.1)

With regards to the intake you will need to make a place for the IAC,ATS which involves drilling and tapping, and will also need to tap the holes for the heater hose if you are going to use them. (Aggravation No.2)

Then you will need to purchase Ls3 fuel injectors. That was the easy part, I installed all of them in the intake and they missed the fuel missed the fuel rail by about a half an inch (Aggravation No.3). Called speedmaster and they had no idea what I was tlaking about had to gather the parts to figure it out. Hats off to them because they did figure it out, but then I needed to purchase fuel injector extensions $45 and mill the fuel rail mount off 0.100".

Now for the biggest problem I had. I had one heck of a time figuring out what distributor will work with this setup because the fuel rails are in the center of the intake, where most 8 stacks are mounted on the outside. I tried about every manufacture of a distributor that is available nothing worked, Except going with a 351W crank trigger distributor which involved switching the gear, oh and I also needed an ignition box to the mix which adds another $200+ MSD crank trigger setup $700.AGGRAVATION 5-100!!!!! Oh then I needed to have my crank pulley milled down the thickness of the flying magnet wheel so everything lines up.

All in all it was a large research project and I would be glad to help anyone that may want to do this to there cobra just to let you know what I went through and help you through it. I know there is not much out there on these in systems. Seems to work alright I know that there are many thoughts about speedmaster but the piece is a very nice piece and even with everything I purchased I have about $4000 in the complete setup. Here are some pics man it loooks sweet!!!:grin2: MORE TO COME!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That does sound complicated and frustrating. They look really nice though!

·
Banned
19 Posts
Yeah, I feel like to work put in was worth in this case definitely. Looks really great, my friend from DSRLeasing was actually performing something similar a while back. Gotta ask him for feedback

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Birdman,

I am installing the same injection manifold on my 385 engine and am equally frustrated with the lack of information from the manufacturer.

The manifold is a thing of beauty and I'm interested in the part numbers of the sensors you used. I am using the FAST 30404 kit for the computer and it has the temp and air sensor included in the kit. What I am missing is the TPS and the MAP sensors. Which brand did you use and part numbers if you can recall.

I'm also after the water filler neck you have as I have the same issue in my Mustang with the thermostat above the level of the radiator.

Look forward to your response

Rick Pfitzner
Adelaide
South Australia
67 Mustang Fastback
557CI

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts