Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would ask. I recieved my kit in Dec 05 and am at the point of body paint. Engine has been fired and Im 90% done. My question is the jet coating on my 4 to 4 headers. It looks as though the coating did not get into the collector area where the pipes all merge. There is surface rust. Is this the norm or is it a lack of material and workmanship ???? I guess the draw back to building a kit is that by the time you use or install the parts they are far from being new looking...Any feedback is appreciated..steve :( :(

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
No rust on my headers and they seem to be thoroughly coated. I have had them about 5 months or so.
Steve

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
After re-reading your post I am not sure if you mean the external or internal collector area... but in any case.... does not sound right.... ceramic coating should get into almost all crevices Sounds like either a bad prep job or the coating guy went a little light in the collector area.

·
Junior Charter Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correction on the areas of interest: The area that is starting to get surface rust is on the outside of the pipes in the tight section where the 4 pipes come together at the collector. It just seems to me that they did not spray good enough to get into the tight areas... I paid enough to FF5 for the coating and it seems a little short on quality for the $$$...any comments...steve

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
Venom. When I ordered my kit in December '06, I was told that FFR no-longer sells the coated pipes. It sounded to me that it was due to this type of problem.

Here is an idea.
Call FFR up and see what they say. You might be suprised.

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
FFR no longer sells coated side pipes. The 4 into 4's still come coated. I have not looked at my 4 into 4's yet.

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
I stand corrected.

·
Junior Charter Member
88 Posts
Mine don't look very good either but are a couple years old now so figured there's not much I could do eventhough there's only about 1000 mi on the car. kind of disapointed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts