Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

One dream I have is to build a F5 for endurance runs, 12 or 24 hours-here or there, etc.

I'm thinking about racing class - and just curious if any one has built an F5 with something other than a V8, to fit in a certain class.

Any four or six cylinder F5's out there? In enduro or Auto X?

Thanks, Al

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I don't know of any but the Nissan 6 that is in the 350Z and other cars is a highly respected engine with 300 hp right out of the dealership. Subarus would be a good bet too.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,238 Posts
There is a "Cobra" banrd unknow to me the runs Hill climb events in PA. ... think 450 hp turbo 4 cycl, so I am told .... rumor has it, it is fast on the hill !!!!!! May bo doing a tube chassis "Cobra" myself in the near future and ponder a "built 6 cycl." NASCAR style motor ... will have to see !!!!

·
514 Posts
I was thinking about a Subaru WRX drivetrain, or maybe even the old GM Lighting/Cyclone setup. A 4wd Cobra, that would be interesting.

I did see a Cobra replica once built on a VW chassis. Almost hurled.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,435 Posts
There's a guy who built one based on a Grand National motor (3.8 Turbo, right?). It was a screamer with around 450 hp and much lighter if I remember right...

-Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys......

I just can't help but think an F5 could be really competitive in a two or three liter class.....

Just think of the excellent weight distrib with a light motor.......couldn't be bad!!!

Keep in mind, I'm thinking twisties, not straight line.....

Al

·
15,282 Posts
Yeah, the Buick GN six has definitely been done -- I've even seen examples in magazines. I think it's been shoehorned into a coupe or a spyder, too.

As for the idea of the AWD Cobra...good luck! That's been discussed ad infinitum around here, and the re-engineering that would be necessary has kept anyone I know of from doing it.

Cheers, John

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
aw come on now all you need is the running gear from a carrera 4 and your in!! Bob

·
514 Posts
I'm fairly new to the forum and haven't been privy to the AWD threads, but that will something interesting to seach on.

I kind of figured an AWD project would require making an all new frame. But, the could be part of the fun. Probably should the current car finished first though!

·
10,171 Posts
I have always likes the Honda s2000 motor.. 240 hp without power adders... very light 9000rpm.. Just think.. exhaust, a little head work 300+ hp easy and very light..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.