Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that 3402 only needs the seats mounted and the windshield set in place, I have decided to change to a 5 lug before I order my HBs'. I have looked at numerous kits in MM&FF and 5.0 & super Fords and have seen kits for front and rear from 600 to 1400 bucks complete.
Can some one give me a parts list of what I need so I can go to the bone yard and gather it myself. We have a local yard that specializes in newer Stangs,( so I would like to have discs on all 4 corners) and newer FoMoCo in general.
I do believe I will get away for less this way, save for the new rotors and pads.
Also can I retain my stock 89 master cylinder,or does it get replaced also ?

Thanks for the help.
Happy Holidays.
Eric Fraser.

·
5,042 Posts
Front rotors from JC Whitney. Cross drilled and slotted. $130 a pair. Set of axles off eBay; around $100.

Done.

Oh Yeah, and Brendan's right about the rear rotors. Sorry, forgot

[ December 30, 2002, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: 2savage ]

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
Originally posted by 2savage:
Front rotors from JC Whitney. Cross drilled and slotted. $130 a pair. Set of axles off eBay; around $100.

Done.
Don't forget new rear rotors too, they're not part of the axles.

Brendan

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
On the front conversion, the Mustang V-8 4-lug rotor can be replaced with a 1984 Lincoln Continental rotor that is 5-lug on a 4.5" bolt circle. It is a direct replacement.

You might want to replace the inner & outer bearings at the same time.
lnj

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
ok..

Lincoln front rotors up front, done..

Cheapest and easiets for the rear is the FMS axle comversion (Drum) kits retails for $226
comes with conversion axles and new drums, you tranfer your old drum brake hardware over.

Phil

·
7,691 Posts
You've got mail. I've sent you a MS-Word doc that has the 5 lug info.

Good luck,

Ray

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ray, can you forward me that document too???

John

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Ok, I did 87 mark VII rotors up front on 87 fox spindles. Then I went the ford ranger axle route and will need to purchase the rear rotor bracket from a vendor off this forum. Forget if its Russ that makes em? Already got the calipers thorwn in on the rear end deal.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Rear axles, Ford Aerostar passenger side, get two. A buddy of mine just did this today, $24 for the pair from the You-Pull.

Lincoln Mark VII front rotors also slide right onto the Mustang spindle.

When I did my conversion it cost me $85 total, and that included new seals and bearings.

Greg

·
7,691 Posts
Cobra Bear,

Send me your e-mail address and I'll get that info. to you. Your e-mail address is blocked. I also sent you a private message.

Ray

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
kobrak,
I used the Mustang unit from the donor. Just so there's no confussion, I'm using Ford Ranger 9" drums in the back.

Greg

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help, I will go with the sn95 parts, will these work with the 89 master cylinder ? and will the rear alxes be the same if I choose to go with the new Moser 31 spline with the c clip eliminators ? I dont think the Areostar parts will hold the power i am puting to the ground and don't want to find out the hard way. ( better to be cautious at this stage I guess )
Thanks for the info Ray, very useful.
Has any one converted using just the SN 95 parts for the 5 lug ???? I need to know what parts I need to get. Rotors and pads will be replaced, I am concerned with the actual hardware and brackets.
With the mk VII rotors you can't use certain wheels due to dust cap size. I wan't to avoid that problem all together. Any ways, there is still 4 more months of winter left around here, time to get to work.

Thanks again.
Eric.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help, I will go with the sn95 parts, will these work with the 89 master cylinder ? and will the rear alxes be the same if I choose to go with the new Moser 31 spline with the c clip eliminators ? I dont think the Areostar parts will hold the power i am puting to the ground and don't want to find out the hard way. ( better to be cautious at this stage I guess )
Thanks for the info Ray, very useful.
Has any one converted using just the SN 95 parts for the 5 lug ???? I need to know what parts I need to get. Rotors and pads will be replaced, I am concerned with the actual hardware and brackets.
With the mk VII rotors you can't use certain wheels due to dust cap size. I wan't to avoid that problem all together. Any ways, there is still 4 more months of winter left around here, time to get to work.

Thanks again.
Eric.

·
Senior Charter Member
737 Posts
While we are on the topic......

I have the rear disk conversion from Stainless Steel Brakes in 4 lug. When I convert to 5 lug, which donor do I get it from?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
Mad max, you will need the FMS 5 lug conversion axles, or the ranger drivers side axles..or..Moser,Strange Conversion axles..

They are 29.16" in length..I have found that if your goin to be hard on them its only $225 for the strange and mosers pcs

Phil

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
QB]
I bought a SN95 rear and it bolts right on. The only problem I found was that the rear width is .75" wider on each side when compared to the Fox rear 87-93, 4lug drum. Your wheel offset changes and it looks fine for the cobra style wheels and terrible for the halibrand style.

To fix the problem you put in the ranger L, aerostar R, or moser etc. These axles are shorter and the hub is right next to the bear carrier on the ends. THe brake caliper then needs to be offset. I bought a custom plate from Richard Oben to do just this. He has ads on this forum.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
Richard Oben

North Race Cars
northcobras.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts