Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not the most mature thing, but I absolutely love watching youtube videos of people getting the [email protected] scared out of them my some jackwaggon with a train horn. Got me to thinking...

Could 1 or both for the 4" frame rails be pressurized with compressed air? Real estate is generaly pretty scarce, but I'm thinking that with the right fittings, I could use the frame rails for air storage and simply plumb in the selenoid and horns.

It would almost be worth the effort to aim a well timed blast while parked at a cars and coffee with some type of remote control:)

Having onboard air might come in handy too for airing down and then back up, and being able to rescue yourself or a buddy on an outing.

Could be figuring out where to put the horns might be the most difficult part.

Thoughts?

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
back away from the Jack

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
I know its not the most mature thing, but I absolutely love watching youtube videos of people getting the [email protected] scared out of them my some jackwaggon with a train horn. Got me to thinking...

Could 1 or both for the 4" frame rails be pressurized with compressed air? Real estate is generaly pretty scarce, but I'm thinking that with the right fittings, I could use the frame rails for air storage and simply plumb in the selenoid and horns.

It would almost be worth the effort to aim a well timed blast while parked at a cars and coffee with some type of remote control:)

Having onboard air might come in handy too for airing down and then back up, and being able to rescue yourself or a buddy on an outing.

Could be figuring out where to put the horns might be the most difficult part.

Thoughts?
Stupid idea:001_rolleyes:

·
Senior Charter Member
1,874 Posts
Dude what have you been smoking?????

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Hmmmmm.. If you filled the rails with helium, would the car be lighter?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the air horn aspects disturbs sensibilities, what about just having air on board? A plug kit and air and your in business...

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Time to shelve this idea and just build the car

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I hate those air-horns.
not funny.

besides, IF you did use your frame rails for pressureized air, what would you mount your brake & fuel lines, and all of your aluminum panels too?

·
Tool Collector
6,594 Posts
Not sure if this was a serious question or not? To answer your question without calling names or judging you. Compressed air causes condentation. Condensation cause moisture. Moisture (water) causes rust in metal. You really don't want to have to replace your frame rails prematurely. Find an alternate means of air storage.

·
Geek
1,402 Posts
besides, IF you did use your frame rails for pressureized air, what would you mount your brake & fuel lines, and all of your aluminum panels too?
+1.

Perhaps you don't realize this, but by the time you're done building the car your frame rails will have more holes in them than a block of swiss cheese. Yeah they'll generally have rivets in these holes, but I doubt a rivet is much of a airtight plug.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Go for it. A pressurized 4" tube sounds to me like a mobile spud gun. Think of that slow car in the left lane.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Horny

Womp:

I'm not sure you are serious about this or just practicing for a new career as a stand up comic. If you are really serious there are better places to store air than the frame rails and you can just get a small 12v air compressor that runs off your onboard battery. The air horns are easy to do without the frame rails, but will make about as many friends as a fart in a sauna.

Wolo CHROME DUAL-TRUMPET 120dB AIR HORNS - JCWhitney

Ron

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
You could double-purpose your new air-tanks as storage for an air-ride suspension!
Drop that Cobra in da weeds! :001_tongue:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't really see sealing the rivit holes and a particulary big deal. Turn chassis over on the rotisserie and pour a little sealer into the frame rails and your good to go.

I purge my air compressor tank when I think about it and I haven't had it rust out yet (in 20 years), and it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a drain.

Got to say I'm a little more than disapointed in the feedback I've received on this... I expected better.

Good thing I didn't I want to install flamethrowers in the side pipes;-)

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
It was all in good jesting Ken. It does sound like something that Smokey Yunick would do like his 7/8 scale chevelle nascar.
That aside, turning the frame into an air tank is way more work than it's worth. If you get a flat a AAA card is going to be far more useful.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Got to say I'm a little more than disappointed in the feedback I've received on this... I expected better.

Good thing I didn't I want to install flamethrowers in the side pipes;-)
You asked for our thoughts and we gave you what we thought of your idea. Now your disappointed?

Maybe I should just close and lock this thread before it deteriorates into the gutter

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.