Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's basic for you guys but for me, I need help.

Is a std trans on a 4 cyl the same as a 302. What about the rear end? Suspension and steering parts???

My questions mean: can I buy a 4 cyl and have all the necessary doner parts for a FFR plus the 302?? Thanks in advance.

Duper

·
Premium Member
18,449 Posts
Skip a "donor" altogether.
Snag parts you need like the 5.0 V8 and T5, IRS clip, pedal box, upper steering shaft, etc from wrecks or parted out cars.

Use a 2000 or so Explorer engine. The 5.0 was in there in 2001 also. They have low miles and tons of low rpm torque! $1000

You will have to add a distributor. $200

Sell the Explorer intake (Cobra capacity) -$200

Get the Mass-Flo induction:

$2900 including wiring, injectors, and computer

Get a new T5Z from Mike Forte : $1200

New clutch, battery, etc: $500

Get Fox front spindles: $150

Get new Gas tank and steering rack, rotors and calipers: $600

Use FFR front lowers, pin drive width. $480

Get the IRS option, pin drive width rear (no extra for PD width) $1950

Get a set of Vintage 15" pin drive rims. $1600

Now you have a "replica"!!

(All the above is what I would do, starting over today)

·
Senior Charter Member
366 Posts
Duper,

Keep looking for a proper donor, the 4cyl. has all the wrong stuff. I searched for over 4 months and came up with a 1993 LX 5.0 HO convertible that had been rear ended, for a mere $800US. It runs great, but will never be road worthy again. Check all the local want ads, and you might want to check with your insurance company. They may be able to help you with purchasing a "total loss" vehicle. Remember, although the '87-93 (as well as '94-04) Mustangs were pretty fast, they didn't have frames and the unititzed body contributes to high loss figures from major collisions. Also check ads for people who may be "parting out" appropriate vehicles. Last, but not least, there is always the local bone yard.

Allan

·
3,645 Posts
keep looking

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot, guys.

Larry ...... I love it , but I don't have that kind of cash, especially since I have CDN dollars to finance the build.

To the others, I'll keep looking for a donor 302. They are very scarce in Ontario, CAN.

I've been lurking on this site for a couple of weeks now, and you guys are awsome. SSSOOOOO much info, I don't know how to assemble it all when I begin my build. My only real concern is the electrical .... I'm a dumb-ass on electricity - I grounded the wife's clothes dryer a couple of years ago, and I hate that feeling ... 220V . ugh. Even 12 V scares me!!!!!!!!!

Thanx again. I'll update as necessary and pick your collective minds.

Duper

·
Premium Member
18,449 Posts
Duper,
Thanks for posting. I still say go after parts, not a whole donor car. You only need a few parts anyway. Salvage yards can pull the parts for nearly free, then you don't have all that mess on you hands; just a pallet of parts!
Anyway, whatever....

Let us know how we can help you.
We enjoy spending OPM (other people's money) :rolleyes:
Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts