Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just got my mk4 kit a few weeks ago and am still trying to sort out which engine I want to do.

I really like the dohc 4.6 idea but the book mentions that the frame will need to be cut in a few locations, specifically the 4 inch cross tube. Ive been reading this site for what seems like days haha, and have not found a definite answer on what if any modifications need to be made to the frame in order to fit this engine, specifically the 2001 mustang cobra version, with the 3650 transmission.

Anyone who has done this setup and would like to share, their thoughts, would be greatly appreciated.

If the 4.6 dohc doesn't work out I may go with the old 351 setup, which bolts right in I believe. I was going to forgo the 4.6 2v version unless someone thinks I should give it a second look.

Thanks all,
Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2002 4.6 SOHC mustang engine with 3650 trans on my MK4 donor build. No modifications needed . Should be the same size as yours but not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2002 4.6 SOHC mustang engine with 3650 trans on my MK4 donor build. No modifications needed . Should be the same size as yours but not sure.

Thanks for the reply. Any comment on the SOHC. Are you overall happy with your decision on it. Good power. Fun. Etc. Still trying to make up my mind between the 4.6 vs a traditional 302 or 351w

·
Junior Charter Member
955 Posts
I had a friend who built a mk3 with that engine I believe and he said it fit but was difficult to work on. He’s since sold the car and we’ve lost touch unfortunately. He did love the power of that engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am happy with my decision. I was on a budget build. The car is light so power is more than enough for me. I haven't driven any other cobra / roadster so I have no comparison. Engine is rated 260 hp stock based on specs. I don't track. Its a weekend fun car only. Parts are readily available and relatively cheap. I have no issues so far for 2 years now. Down side I guess is the engine bay is not pretty, there are a lot of wires. And if someone asks you what engine you have " its a ford 4.6 modular" Will I change it? No, I am very satisfied.

·
Registered
202 Posts
No idea about the 4v frame mods. I think it's really tight on the footbox but there's a different footbox panel, I just can't see it reaching the x member up front. If you're on a strict budget ,the 2v is ok. Super easy to get parts for. I found I needed a longer throttle cable at one point and looked at the crown vic from the same year. voila, same engine with longer cable. I will tell you, I have a 2v, completely rebuilt it and the trans as project creep got ahold of me. It's balanced so is the fly wheel. It's very smooth power and never hiccups. I love the smoothness but am already looking at forced induction add on. 260 is great in this car but it becomes underwhelming after a while as you learn how to handle it. Find a wrecked cobra or something with a coyote on copart. I'm in california so I had to use a broker to bid to win the mustang I got.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I installed the 4.6L DOHC engine with the TR3650 in my MK4, no frame modifications. The engine sits very close, to the drivers side aluminum at the rear of the head. If I were to do it again, that sheet metal would be massaged a bit.
The only 4.6L that required frame mods that I know of was the supercharged terminator motors. The frame cross member required modification to make it fit. If you can weld, not a big deal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think the mods mentioned may be for the Cobra supercharged engine. I didn't notice and notching on my frame but it was in there when I bought the car. That being said, the 4.6 would not be my engine of choice unless you are happy with 300 hspr. They are quite expensive to increase hspr on pretty much requiring boost to get the same level as a new 5.0l Coyote. The sbf has a ton of room to work on things. When I look at my 4.6 DOHC I hope I never have to take it out. lol.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey all. A little late to the party here. I have a DOHC I'm my Mk IV. It is a tight squeeze, but there was no frame cutting required for the install. I do remember having to make spacers for the engine mounts though. I think Jay may be correct about the Termi requiring a little clearancing with the extra front dress.
I ended up adapting an Eaton SC from an 08 GT 500 to mine. That solved the torque issue😁.
If you need any 4.6 parts, I have lots left from my build, including low profile oil pan, 98 Cobra intake with C head conversion, custom intake snorkel etc. I'll post in the classified section.
Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all. A little late to the party here. I have a DOHC I'm my Mk IV. It is a tight squeeze, but there was no frame cutting required for the install. I do remember having to make spacers for the engine mounts though. I think Jay may be correct about the Termi requiring a little clearancing with the extra front dress.
I ended up adapting an Eaton SC from an 08 GT 500 to mine. That solved the torque issue😁.
If you need any 4.6 parts, I have lots left from my build, including low profile oil pan, 98 Cobra intake with C head conversion, custom intake snorkel etc. I'll post in the classified section.
Cheers
Tom
Tom,
Tell me about the C head conversion. I'm considering it. Do you still have the parts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts