Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, the build is going well..so far.
My concern now is that I have purchased a 04 Mustang 4.6 supercharged cobra engine with a Tremec T56 6 speed trans ( still in transit to me ) but reading the forum it sounds like the package is to long for my build. I have the solid rear axle, NOT IRS.
Is this right??? Have I screwed up.

Thanks.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
That trans is to long to work well with the live axle rear. The drive shaft will be to short to have the required articulation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gordon although thats what I didnt want to hear.. Whats the solution do you think. Being a right hand drive Ive had to remove the engine mounts on the chasis and the FF dealer here is getting some new ones made up to put the off set to the other side. Im thinking I may be able to sneak the engine forward a fraction to achieve a bit more clearance from trans to diff.

Kevin.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
Moving the engine forward creates a whole host of new issues, headers and the balance of the car will be off.
Your most effective option as I see it is convert the car to IRS. It will cost you between $3K and $3500 to do it.
The other option is to change back to a 5 speed and sell the T56.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike, I'm not using headers, just inverting the stock manifolds.
I can handle a little extra expense to modify the manifold to side pipe extension., A whole lot cheaper than replacing the trans.

Kevin

·
Registered
567 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the balance, these cars come out tail heavy anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, can any one tell me the difference in length from the T56 6 speed to the TKO500 5 speed? IF i did move the engine forward, how far would I have to go??

I don't want to throw the car off balance but if i can get away with moving It forward a fraction thats what I will do. This car wont be raced, its more of a weekend street cruiser than any thing else.

All and any solutions/comments would be appreciated.

Cheers, Kevin.

·
Master of my Build
2,045 Posts
OK, can any one tell me the difference in length from the T56 6 speed to the TKO500 5 speed? IF i did move the engine forward, how far would I have to go??

I don't want to throw the car off balance but if i can get away with moving It forward a fraction thats what I will do. This car wont be raced, its more of a weekend street cruiser than any thing else.

All and any solutions/comments would be appreciated.

Cheers, Kevin.
Here are some measurements on the T56 from my Terminator motor.

Engine Block to end of tranny (rubber seal) is approx 33". My drive shaft from where it bolts to the IRS to where the shaft begins going into tranny is 11.5" Hope this helps. I will take pics and post to show measurements.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Perhaps I can shed some light here. First, not all T56's are the same length. The GM after market verson I installed in a 95 ImpalaSS with a viper tail shaft is considerably longer then the ford version Mike Forte sold me for the cobra.

I've got a T56 mated to a Ford FE. The standard FFR driveshaft 10.375" drive shaft was too short so I either had to have a longer driveshaft made or use a spacer on the pinion.

Having said that, the 4.6 mounts a little further back than the Ford FE, so your driveshaft may be too long. To compensate, your engine may have to be mounted further forward about 1.5" to use a standard FFR driveshaft.

It's not the T56 that's an issue, it the combination engine and T56 version that causes the issue.

Here are a few photos that might help you.

This is a side by side comparison of a T5 and T56:

Note that the length is just about the same but that the T56 cross member mounting point is much further to the rear.

Here's a standard FFR driveshaft, Note the spacer on the pinion to lengthen the driveshaft:

For me the big issue was that the T56 considerably fatter than a T5 and will interfere with the parking brake unless it's offset to left side of the car. The FFR cross member will also have to be cut way back to accomodate the rear mount point. The rear of a T56 will sit lower than a T5 so I killed two birds with one stone by adding a 3/8" high plate to the crossmember. This not only added strength to the cut back crossmember but also raise the rear mounting point. Here's what mine looked like after modifications were done to the crossmember:

Note the offset mounting holes

I hope this helps,

Bruce

·
Master of my Build
2,045 Posts
Here are the pics to go with the measurements. My T56 doesn't look the the one above.

·
Registered
196 Posts
T56/4.6 or SB engine.

We had planned on running 347 with a T-56. Without some fairly major mod it would have fit. New plan keep 347 and TKO 600. The T56 is not semetrical on each side and you need to modify the passenger side to fit at least on a MK 3.1. also the trans mount that we had CNC'd and a few more issues.
So after lots of time and trying to make it fit a call to Forte and a new trans later back on track. Anything will work if you have the time and money to make it happen.

Just my 2cents Bret Watkins

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys are awsome...So helpful.

I know now from all the comments that I can get this engine trans unit to fit with a bit of ingenuity and time. I can cut, weld and fabricate almost anything I'm just hesitant to cut into my new chassis.

Please keep the Ideas and comments coming, It is very much appreciated.

Cheers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.