Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I install the Oil Pan, looking to see if I need to remove the Rear Main Seal Retainer Plate first, in order to replace Seal.
Ford Factory Manual says to use SSTs, which of course I do not have, then this can be done without removing Retainer.
1) Removing the Retainer looks to make this pretty easy, remove old Seal & install new, then just re-install the full assembly, while resealing the Retainer to the Block. Yes / No?
2) Manual also specs out an Oil Slinger going on after Seal, which I see no evidence of. Any help?
Left pic shows overall view of Retainer / Seal around rear of Crank.
Middle pic shows new Seal simply set in place.
Right pic shows old Seal still installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yes you have to remove the plate. Place the seal first (motor oil in and outside), then the retainer plate.
A good idea would be to replace the front one too. These two seals have the tendency to go first.

Now a personal tip, while rebuilding the engine - put an aftermarket Crankshaft dampener on the motor. A little more on the top and a smoother transition is your benefit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
the black rubber in picture 3 is the oil slinger. held in place by the flex or pressure plate.
i got a teflon rear seal and it said no lube, but its an oil seal. it came with a plastic guide to get it over the crank.
the front main i did after i installed the motor. not too hard, not like trying to do a rear seal in a transmition whille its in the car.:sad:

·
Junior Charter Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pete & Brain,
Thanks for the input, & yes, I had already replaced the Front Seal.
I will look at an aftermarket Harmonic Balancer ( I assume the same thing, different name).
Currently on travel to "tropical" Cleveland, but be home before the weekend.
Cheers,

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am currently rebuilding my 4.6l and had a hard time finding the oil slinger. I did some Google research and found an article on one of the Ford forums. Ford gave it that name but it sits outside the rear seal to keep dust and dirt away from the seal. Ford has since changed the name to a baffle. It looks to me like the seal fits tight in the block and the crank spins. but the "slinger" sits on the crank and spins with it, thereby slinging or baffling dirt away from the seal.
There is a Ford Master mechanic here Check out post #4 and #9
Another:
SVTPerformance
hth, Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts