Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this stuff OK to adhere the dash to the alum. It says it can be use for Polyethelyn. Isn't that the foamy stuff on the back of the dash padding?

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
I think you will be fine using that.

One tip: When you go to adhere the shorter tabs around to the back of the dash-use regular old "super glue". I tried using my adhesive spray and about a week later they had all come unattached. Cleaned up the aluminum, applied super glue, and now its stuck really well.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the superglue tip.

·
6,546 Posts
Clean the aluminum with alcohol before doing anything.

Super 77 is fine, Super 90 is probably a little better.

Spray the aluminum, spray the dash pad - SEPARATELY.

Let each sit for 20 or 30 seconds and then stick together. They'll be super stuck.

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
One of the hardest parts is to get it on there without air bubbles or stretch marks. Lay pad on a large flat surface. Use a marker to trace the area where the dash goes. Do like Ozona said - spray both parts and let sit, then attach. But only do about 12-18" at a time. Start at one end and work to the other. It's much easier and you'll make fewer mistakes.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
Dan, I used the Super 77 also. Worked great so I'd imagine the 90 is fine. No adhearing problems what so ever. Dash has been complete for a few years and no peeling or dryout anywhere. I had a great time with the dash and it looks great. I still can't get over how good it looks for me doing it no less. G.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
Oh and FWIW I seperated the foam backer from the leather to avoid wrinkles. I sprayed the dash and foam first and stuck them together. Then sprayed the leather and stuck it to the foam. Trimmed,V cut and rolled the edges to finish. Came out like glass. G.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Dan regular old contact cement applied to the aluminum surface with a brush is fine.The way I applied the material to the aluminum was to start at one end and roll the dash material toward the center then do the same from the other end so you end up with the two ends rolled into the center.Then is very easy to simply unroll the material from the center of the dash across the aluminum with no air bubbles.Dont even bother trying to trim the material first,just put down the glue on the aluminum, let it tack up, roll out the material across the the aluminum from the middle outward, wait about an hour and trim the excess,done.

BTW 3M 74 or 76 will work better that the 77 or 90 for foam to aluminum. I sell Bostik PoolTak spray adhesive to the In-Ground Pool industry. This adhesive is used exclusively to bond thin foam (similar to your dash foam) to steel and aluminum panels during an In-Ground pool installation. 3M is my primary competition in the Pool Industry. If you dont want to use good old contact cement find your local In-Ground pool store and ask for a can of Bostik PoolTak first ;) ,then if they dont carry it get some 3M 74. Be careful if you cant find either the Bostik or 3M,there is some real junk adhesive in the pool business. The 3M you can probably find in a large box home improvment store, the Bostik PoolTak is only sold to the Swimming Pool Industry.If you have any trouble finding a good adhesive send me an e-mail and I send you a can of PoolTak for the cost of shipping :D .

·
6,546 Posts
My dash is aluminum, denim, then a piece of regular black leather (no foam).

Looks killer, no foam, so it's "flat" like the originals. The denim gives a little bit so the gauges sink into the leather a bit. Not much though.

I'm really happy with how it turned out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts