Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed the manifold on my 390 to an Edelbrock Performer RPM. The bypass nipple is missing on the manifold. I understand they have to be pressed in. Can anyone fill in some of the details to make this happen. My hope is that I will not have to remove the manifold.

·
Registered
55 Posts
threaded I think

I just finished putting mine together about a month ago. If I'm thinking of the right part it was threaded on my Performer RPM intake. I believe it just takes a 1/4" allen wrench to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Old style may be pressed and would be a 5/8" hole.
Any piece of 5/8" OD tube can be driven in then cut off to length needed. Such as McMaster #8950K671
If threaded should be 3/8"-18 pipe thread.
Pick up a brass nipple 3-4" long, cut to length then cut across end to make a double slot to use to tighten it in.
Of course water pump needs to be off.
The nipple that comes with the intake uses a 3/8" allen wrench to install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses. My manifold is not threaded, so I think I will go the 5/8 driven pipe solution.

·
Owner
345 Posts
Tips

raiderred
Some tips
1) put the nipple in your freezer, overnight.
2) put the manifold in your oven and bring it to around 250

The difference in the expansion rates will make a BIG difference in how it goes together.

Also do a google search on freeze plug installation to determine your preference for a sealer. There are many camps, I used Permatex #2. There are threads recommending Indian Head and Loctite makes an aerobic sealer.

When I put mine in, I was able to drive it in using a brass hammer and no leaks

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts