Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Thank you for reading and maybe helping! I'm running a 400 hp -390! I called one of the advertisers in the forum and was quoted .... $3334.00 for a TKO 600 5 speed trans! I knew in the beginning it was not going to be cheap... but that seems steep!
I have the original cast iron flywheel ... cast iron bell housing! I was told, not a problem... most guys don't set it up that way, but it will work and would be like and old Galaxie or Fairlane setup ....etc!
I would like to run a 5 speed ... just for that extra gear on the highway..... but 3 Grand! I can get a Top Loader setup a lot chearer than that!
Is it really worth it... or does anyone have a better solution!

Thanks

Matt

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
It all depends on the kind of driving you do. If you spend a fair amount of time on the freeway at 75-80 mph, then it's definatly worth it. But, if you're never on the highway, and most of your cruising is <2,500 rpm's, then it's probably not.

· Registered
2,119 Posts
Call Mike Fortes

If I am reading your post correctly and you are only getting the TKO600 for that price then you are paying about $1K too much.

· Premium Member
592 Posts
that tko must be the gold plated model-I bought my tko 600 off e-bay new from a cobra parts dealer/owner in the mid west for 1695.00 including shipping. now that was 5 years ago but was there a sudden price increase of that much? 12,000 miles and it still shifts like butter.

Bob

· DRIVING!!!
307 Posts
too much

agree with above - call mike forte for a much better price

jeff

· Master Builder wanna-be
311 Posts
Tremec

Wow, $3300 is a little pricey.
Go to Fortes web site. TKO-600 $2295..Add $350 if you want a mid shift.
I got mine from him (was about 3-4 years ago..) price was less but its a nice unit.
I got the 0.64 5th gear. THought it might be a little too low for highway, but I have a 302-340 hp...at 65 mph, I can hit the gas and it runs right up..no issues...lets the engine loaf along at 70-75 mph...
Glen:001_tt1:

· Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kind words.
Here's what's included in the quote as I recall:
TKO-600 $2295.00 machined tailhousing for FFR chassis
FE Input kit installed $250.00 ($100.00 FE spacer plate works fine)
external slave kit $300.00
Ram clutch kit $327.00 (Valeo 11" x 26 spline $225.00)
FE pilot bearing & transmission & clutch bolt kit $55.00
billet aluminum offset trans mount spacer $56.00
shipping & insurance $100.00 (actual cost $150.00+)

Also using his cast iron bellhousing saves some money but it then requires a FE TKO input kit or a bellhousing spacer plate ($150.00 less than input kit). The OEM bellhousing also requires a complete external hydraulic slave kit. These are the parts that add to the total cost. If a Quick Time bellhousing is used and a cable clutch the price just about evens out. I do think the external slave kit eliminates the clutch pedal that is breaking with the quadrants.
Just a few thoughts...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.