Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using 3.55 gears in the rear end. Will I get bored of the 380 hp ford crate engine after a while? How many stock cars are there out there that can beat a FF5 car with 380 hp under the hood? Is there any stock car out there that can beat a 500 hp cobra? What do you guys think the difference in 1/4 miles times will be with the two engines? I'm a little ways away from putting the engine in but I just want to make sure that I'm going with the right engine. Can I add a turbo to the 351 if I get bored with it? What are your thoughts on this.

Tifford

·
Super Moderator
29,467 Posts
Tifford-

A lot as to do with how the engines are set up. I believe the 380 hp crate engine uses a dual plane manifold. This gives more low and mid torque. It will be very fast.

If the 500 hp engine is using the same manifold, you will have trouble with traction. However, if it is equipped with a single plane manifold, the power curve movves up in the RPM range. This will allow you to get traction on the low end, and when the car gets going, the power curve will kick in and the car will fly.

In either case, both engines will make the car go like a rocket. Personally, I would opt for the 500 hp motor. I just love hp!! :D

-Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
[Will I get bored of the 380 hp ford crate engine after a while?]

YES! I have currently 425hp (flywheel hp) and I want more. Sure I weigh more and I'm running a higher rear gear (3.25) and a .83 fifth tremec, but I want more power. (Don't forget the bigger brakes to go along with the power)

[How many stock cars are there out there that can beat a FF5 car with 380 hp under the hood?]

Depends on what your talking about. 0-60, 60-0, 1/4 mile, top speed.

0-60 - I would assume very few, unless it's another cobra ;)
60-0 - Don't have a clue?
1/4 miles - I would assume very few, unless it's another cobra ;)
top speed - alot more than a few. cobra do not necessarily have the best aerodynamics.

[Is there any stock car out there that can beat a 500 hp cobra?]

again it depends on what scale of performance you're trying to measure it on.

[What do you guys think the difference in 1/4 miles times will be with the two engines?]

Here's a calculator:
Prestage

500hp/2200lbs - 10.36sec/131.53mph
380hp/2200lbs - 11.36sec/120.04mph

I used 22% drivetrain loss for rear wheel hp! Assuming that the hp quoted is Standard Power/Torque.

[Can I add a turbo to the 351 if I get bored with it?]

I believe there are a few people who have already done that on this site. I'm not sure what engine modifications that will be necessary? lower compression? etc.

Samurai

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
I make over 600hp to the flywheel. And to be honest, its funner to drive with the blower belt off. NOT!!!

Seriously, If your a cruiser and drive it a lot around town. Just 380hp is more than enough to beat up on anything on the road. Civility drops dramatically when you increase the HP more than that, Just ask some of the other guys that went over the edge and miss the days of just firing it up and goin, Greg Lapointe would be another to ask...

Phil

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The FMS 385HP motor actually will produce 405-412HP or 337rwhp. Most guys ran 12.5-12.8 ET with 200+lb heavier SPF's depending on their roll out. These guys were running 2.4 60 foots rolling out. If you can stick a launch (use BFG DR's) you may chop that down to low or even flat 12's.
I ported my FMS GT40heads which gained another 52HP flywheel, making 378rwhp. The FMS 385 motor comes with single plane Victor Jr. I preferred the high rise dual plane so I swapped it. We are done by 6000 rpm anyway so the Perf. RPM or Stealth intake will get you there AND provide very snappy mid-range and aggressive low end. You can easily get in the 11's and can run low-mid 11's with a solid launch and 450HP. I think the live axle (pinion and instant center tuned) helps off the line. With 450 Hp in a light FFR you can run with anything from the dead or a roll. Could you use more HP than 450 ?
Heck yeah !

[ June 13, 2002, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: JAM1775 ]

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. guys.

I think I'll stay with the 392 option. I can see myself having regrets about getting the 351 and sitting there wishing that I had the 392. The Porsh GT 2 (I think) puts up some impressive numbers. After all of the time that I have put into this project I would really like to know that if a $100,000+ car pulls up along side of me that I could clean his clock if need be. Thanks for the input.

Tifford

·
Registered
370 Posts
Tif...the more cubic inches...the more torque. A FFR doesn't need torque...but more HP is always wanted!!! :eek: You migt want to START with the 380 HP engine...get use to the car...and then add a cam, heads, blower, etc. These cars with a STOCK 302 will impress you with the right gears...a good running 351 will scare you..for a while at least!!! :D dino

·
Registered
125 Posts
Everyone has their own agenda. I find the 392 with Victor Jr heads and manifold coupled to a TKO and IRS w/3.27 gears is a great setup. It provides a wonderfully civil driver in the low RPM range (my kids drive it) First gear is even usable. You won't accidently break the tires loose driving around town but get it over 3500 RPM and HANG ON! Cruising down the highway it is loafing along at 2K doing 75 but downshift to 3rd and it's goodbye Vette. The gears end up a little far apart for serious drag racing but changing that is very easy. It all depends on how you drive your car. BTW the 392 has not been the least tempermental,but is VERY loud with FFR sidepipes.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Although it is just a go cart stage my 351 stroker (408) is just amazing... I would have to say anything above 400 hp is going to cause fits with traction. As many have stated all the HP in the world is useless if the tires are spinning! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
29,467 Posts
I can't wait to hear my 700 hp big block monster!!!!

-Keith

1 - 10 of 10 Posts