Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis Ls that someone put a 351w in. It has the Duraspark iii ignition system with electronic distributor. I have changed my plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap, ignition coil, ignition control module and fuel filter. I pulled the distributor up because I bought a new one. This was also before I found out that the motor wasn't the original 302 that was in it so unfortunately I received a distributor with a harness on it and vacuum advance. So beings that I didn't have that on my motor I proceeded to put my distributor back in. I brought the engine to TDC ( this I know because I pulled number one sparkplug and used a tdc finding tool). Even the 0°degree tdc mark on my harmonic balancer was lined up with the timing marker on the passenger side of my engine. So, in the research I've done, I read to set initial timing to 10° Btd so I did that and dropped the distributor back with the rotor pointing to the #1 cylinder spark plug wire location on the cap. And still I cannot get the car to start. It doesn't backfire out of the intake or exhaust its just spins over and over. If I spray carb cleaner in the throttle body it seems like it almost starts or does and dies immediately but that's the only time it catches. I even tried to spin the distributor thinking I was 180° out. That time I got backfires through the throttle body. Can someone please help me.
Thanks,
Brandon

·
Senior Charter Member
2,407 Posts

·
397 Posts
sounds like you figured out your problem , you set the dist you feed it fuel it runs and dies you put it 180 out and it backfires, put it back to where you started and check fuel delivery ie carb or injection ,

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
any chance the firing order was changed when they changed the engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds like you figured out your problem , you set the dist you feed it fuel it runs and dies you put it 180 out and it backfires, put it back to where you started and check fuel delivery ie carb or injection ,
It does seem like I'm having a fuel injection problem but I've checked it the pump and I'm getting fuel to the real but my injectors don't seem to be injecting fuel and I can't figure out why everything is the same as it was am I injectors never had a problem

·
397 Posts
ok , you need to check the injector driver circuit of the ignition module , to test it you will need a noid light , unplug the injector from the harness take the injector plug and plug it into the noid light , turn the key on and roll the engine over if the light stays off or on solid the module is bad the light should flicker commanding the injector to fire since you have spark i would tend to think its the module but without testing it to rule out or confirm it if the module can usually be tested at advance auto or autozone on their machine , if the module tests fine look at the ecm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts