Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Master Air Guitarist...
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys...I decided on a 408 (351W stroked).

2 Questions:

(1) with the 351W, is there enough room to do a driver side footbox mod to make it bigger?

(2) with the Levy 408 (540hp/550tq), what transmission do you recommend.....assuming I'm going to drive it like i stole it

oh yeah.....rear end is 8.8 w/3.55 gears.

Thanks so much...can't wait for your feedback (off to FFR factory tour tomorrow).

-Bry

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts

1) Yes, at least in a MKII. Can't speak to the MKIII.

2) Tremec TKO hands down (or whatever the newer model name is) Will handle whatever you throw at it.

I have a 351W stroked to 393 with a Tremec TKO and 3.55 gearing in the 8.8 rear. Great combo. You won't be disappointed.
Raul

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
1) Yes!

2) TKO 600.

·
Delivered
2,709 Posts
1) depends if you use the 4 into 4 headers.

From my responce to the same question awhile back. Is you cant extend the footbox with 4into4's but still can move the downbar on the side.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
1. Not really. With the 4x4's, it's a pretty tight fit. You could gain an inch or so down towards the bottom, though.

2. Tremec TKO 600. Stongest bolt in trans available. Reasonably priced, and easy to come by.
Gordon also makes a really heavy duty T5 which is as strong (maybe stronger?) and smaller/lighter. But considerably more expensive.

Since you're getting the engine from Gordon, I would also let him match up a clutch, trans, and bellhousing set up. Then you know everything fits and works well together.

[ October 12, 2007, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: boB ]

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
That's a good point. I have 4 into 4's and I dropped it and cut the bar out on the left to get more leg room and welded in a new 90 degree structure. Definitely no space to add in/towards the engine compartment since my headers almost touch the footbox aluminum.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Bry,

I've got the same rear end and I'm going with the Levy 408. Like Bob said, Gordon's got a "Super Alloy" T-5 which is lighter than the Tremec and Gordon says it will handle any power you throw at it. He also said that it's got a great set of gears.

As Bob recommended, I let Gordon give me specifics for the clutch, bellhousing, trans, etc. and I'm just getting it all from him along with brakes, UCA/LCA, shocks, radiator, etc. It's like one stop shopping.

I didn't realize that there was an issue with footbox mods and the 4 into 4's. That's going to be a sticky wicket when I get to it.

Good luck with your build.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
I used a TR3550 that I rebuilt has yet to fail , but I never even broke a t5. . Gordon will provide great advice. All you have to do is ask . I'm using a centerforce dual friction clutch, FRPP flywheel, I also upgraded the rear diff to 31 spline posi and axles .A must with sticky tires. I have the 4 link cant speak for the IRS guys . As long as you have rear disc the possibility of spitting an axle out is minimal the caliper will hold the rotor which will hold the wheel. Drum brakes I suggest "c" clip eliminators. Take it easy till you get used to the short wheelbase , it's kind of special.. Bob

320 Posts
427W (600 ish HP)
TKO600RR Love it!
8.8 w/3.55's
4 link
Driven very aggressive and havent broke anything yet.
I am heading to the drags Sunday, it el realy get the test.
Rick

·
Senior Charter Member
509 Posts
I widened my footbox with a FFMetal kit...even stretching it a little wider than intended. I also have 4 into 4's with a 408W. I have about 1/2" clearance between header & driver footbox.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Bry,
TKO600RR is the best bet out of the box. Check with Mike Forte. He usually has a pretty good deal on these. Get the mid-shift conversion. It puts a short shift lever in just the right position.
Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.