Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone happens to know or is still mid-build and could measure the distance between the top deck on the 351w block ( the flat surface the intake sits on) and the underside of the hood say right behind the distributor. I know the 351w already has a tight height stackup. Trying to see if I can fit the Edelbrock pro Flo 4 efi without cutting a hood scoop. I guess if anyone has that on a 351w, that would also answer my overall question. I know about the motor mounts and lowering the engine slightly but could use a nice base number to go by. Even if you have a 302 and can measure it, easy math to estimate for the 351w.

Thanks all!
Chris

·
Caress of Steel
2,172 Posts
I will know very soon, my body should be done at the painter within the next week or two, but I'm pretty sure there won't be a problem. Stack height shouldn't be any more than the RPM Air Gap and Fitech I had before.

·
Charter Member
272 Posts
On my MK1 with poly engine mounts, it is about 12.5" from the flat at front edge of the lifter valley to the bottom side of the hood scoop.

Michael

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my MK1 with poly engine mounts, it is about 12.5" from the flat at front edge of the lifter valley to the bottom side of the hood scoop.

Michael
Thank you Michael, that's quite a lot more than I expected. Sounds like everything should fit just fine. The pro flo 4 manafold and throttle body is 8.75" so I guess I'm left with 3.75" for the air cleaner. Sounds like enough for me. And I think I read somewhere that the mk4 they I have might even have a higher good?.

So has anyone used the pro flo 4 on our cars? Happy with it?. 2000$ and a near 6 month lead time, just want to make sure I am heading down the right road.

Chris

·
Registered
269 Posts
I switched to the Pro-Flo 4 last spring. No problems yet! Installation was pretty straight forward with no surprises.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone happens to know or is still mid-build and could measure the distance between the top deck on the 351w block ( the flat surface the intake sits on) and the underside of the hood say right behind the distributor. I know the 351w already has a tight height stackup. Trying to see if I can fit the Edelbrock pro Flo 4 efi without cutting a hood scoop. I guess if anyone has that on a 351w, that would also answer my overall question. I know about the motor mounts and lowering the engine slightly but could use a nice base number to go by. Even if you have a 302 and can measure it, easy math to estimate for the 351w.

Thanks all!
Chris
I had a rpm air gap and was to tall, I had to a regular air gap the carb was in to the hole for the hood scoop.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I switched to the Pro-Flo 4 last spring. No problems yet! Installation was pretty straight forward with no surprises.

View attachment 362916
Curious as to your thoughts in switching from a carb setup. Drivability, performance, etc. Did you go full return setup on fuel lines or a returnless/regulated in-tank pump?

I've been tossing around the idea for a winter project sometime, and I will most likely go with the PF4 if I end up switching to fuel injection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a rpm air gap and was to tall, I had to a regular air gap the carb was in to the hole for the hood scoop.
Thanks for your input, I'm back to unsure if it will fit again. This is actually the info I was expecting. The rpm air gap height according to edelbrocks website is 5.75 tall. And the pro flo intake alone states 6.25 tall. Ugh. So I guess an appropriate question for you would be how tall was your air cleaner. Or did you not even get that close.

The photo cjrponey posted was great and very helpful, based off of that I would say I would have no problem. Even though it looks like that is a 331 it has a pretty thick air cleaner and still appears to have plenty of room for the extra inch or so from the 351.

Even Joe Campbell above mentioned he had an rpm air gap with fitech and suggested it fit just fine. Was your car an older version maybe?.

·
Charter Member
1,068 Posts
Dart SHP (351W), solid motor mounts, RPM Airgap intake, with Holley 750. I use a dropped air filter base with a 3 1/2" tall air filter. It just fits. The dropped base made all the difference. Are you able to use a dropped base with the Edelbrock pro Flo 4 efi?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dart SHP (351W), solid motor mounts, RPM Airgap intake, with Holley 750. I use a dropped air filter base with a 3 1/2" tall air filter. It just fits. The dropped base made all the difference. Are you able to use a dropped base with the Edelbrock pro Flo 4 efi?
View attachment 362928
Thanks for the photo, I will have to look into the dropped base air filter. I don't see why it wouldn't work. The pro flo has a Carburetor style throttle body. So if it works on a carb, should also work on the pro flo. Seems like the solid motor mounts is a requirement which is good to know. I planed on using one of the big cobra style oval air filters which are not as tall as yours so that also should help.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Curious as to your thoughts in switching from a carb setup. Drivability, performance, etc. Did you go full return setup on fuel lines or a returnless/regulated in-tank pump?

I've been tossing around the idea for a winter project sometime, and I will most likely go with the PF4 if I end up switching to fuel injection.
I actually switched from a 95 Mustang EFI setup that I was not happy with the look or being able to get it tuned to my liking. I kept having surging and bucking issues at low speed. All that went away with the PF4 and it looks better too! The air cleaner is 2-1/4 tall with a 1 inch spacer to clear the linkage. The knob is 1/2 inch tall.

·
Charter Member
1,068 Posts
Oh, since cjrpony brought up the topic... I don't use the traditional air cleaner knob on top. To save vertical space I simply have a stainless bolt holding the air cleaner top down. It does loosen, so a piece of duct tape keeps that from happening (my engine builder said, here do this and you won't have that problem any more). The tape isn't pretty but it gets the job done. Previously I would have to retighten it about every month.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for your input, I'm back to unsure if it will fit again. This is actually the info I was expecting. The rpm air gap height according to edelbrocks website is 5.75 tall. And the pro flo intake alone states 6.25 tall. Ugh. So I guess an appropriate question for you would be how tall was your air cleaner. Or did you not even get that close.

The photo cjrponey posted was great and very helpful, based off of that I would say I would have no problem. Even though it looks like that is a 331 it has a pretty thick air cleaner and still appears to have plenty of room for the extra inch or so from the 351.

Even Joe Campbell above mentioned he had an rpm air gap with fitech and suggested it fit just fine. Was your car an older version maybe?.
My car is a 2018 MK4, I have a quick fuel 750 on it with a billet specialties #15429 air cleaner. And a1/4'' cool carb spacer under it, both spacers under it rubs the hood. Had to remove one.

·
Caress of Steel
2,172 Posts
To clarify on my setup, I had the 427W in my Fox Mustang last year, which has even less top-to-bottom room than an FFR due to the Mustang's crossmember. I had 3/8" milled off the top of the ProFlo4 intake to buy a little extra room, and then with a 2"drop base 14" round cleaner with a 3" element, and using 1-1/4" drop solid motor mounts it would fit but made slight contact. Won't be anywhere near the same problem in the FFR, I think a 1" drop cleaner will be plenty and shouldn't require too much adjustment (or bending) of my mechanical throttle linkage. We will see.

Someone was posting recently about tests of air cleaners and the drop bases actually hurt flow, you can be much better off with a flat base and short filter if you have to, especially if you use a filter top.

I also have a 12" oval air cleaner kicking around as an option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To clarify on my setup, I had the 427W in my Fox Mustang last year, which has even less top-to-bottom room than an FFR due to the Mustang's crossmember. I had 3/8" milled off the top of the ProFlo4 intake to buy a little extra room, and then with a 2"drop base 14" round cleaner with a 3" element, and using 1-1/4" drop solid motor mounts it would fit but made slight contact. Won't be anywhere near the same problem in the FFR, I think a 1" drop cleaner will be plenty and shouldn't require too much adjustment (or bending) of my mechanical throttle linkage. We will see.

View attachment 362973

Someone was posting recently about tests of air cleaners and the drop bases actually hurt flow, you can be much better off with a flat base and short filter if you have to, especially if you use a filter top.

I also have a 12" oval air cleaner kicking around as an option.
Thanks for your photo and explanation Joe, your build looks fantastic by the way. So did you stick with the 1.25 drop motor mounts in the ffr, how's your oil pain, is it sticking out below the frame?.

Looks like one way or another I can make the pro flo fit without the hood scoop, so I think I'll pull the trigger on it. I don't plan on pushing to much power out of my 351, so I think I can get away with a shorter air cleaner like you mention with no issues.

For whatever reason the pro flos seem to have a 4-5 month lead time right now. In the meantime I should have plenty of time to sort out the rest.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Joe mentioned his drop base interfered with his mechanical throttle linkage. I had the same problem when I changed my air cleaner from oval to round. It may take you a few iterations finding the right stack to go on top of your intake, but when you find the one that works, it'll be worth it.

John

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not sure if the current configuration will allow but in the past I've had to bend a linkage rod to conform to the application. It would seem that the rod from the firewall to the carb could be contoured to miss the aircleaner and other items. Stainless threaded rod is cheap and easy to fabricate.
A local friend has a 351W based motor, drop base 14x3 aircleaner and Forte's linkage, works just fine. My plan as well.
Jim

·
Caress of Steel
2,172 Posts
The 1.25 drop mounts were just for the Fox, I'll be using Energy poly mounts, which I believe are the same height as the old Fox convertible mounts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am using the Energy poly mounts as well with the PF4. I am not sure how much clearance I have, but obviously enough. I might check that out this weekend just for poops and giggles

·
Registered
120 Posts
So has anyone used the pro flo 4 on our cars? Happy with it?. 2000$ and a near 6 month lead time, just want to make sure I am heading down the right road.

Chris
I upgraded from a Pro-Flo 2 to a Pro-Flo 4 last year on my 302. The PF2 was a good system, but didn't have real time logging, true real time tuning, and I could never tweak the base maps to get close enough to my E303 cam. The PF4 already has maps very close to the E303 and runs really well. I'm really happy with it. With the PF2 I had some surging and bucking, especially below 2k RPM. I also had to delete the IAC on the old system, but it works great on the PF4. The PF4 is super smooth everywhere, no bucking or surging. Car starts perfectly every time, hot or cold. I would definitely recommend it.

With the PF2 I was already setup for a return system fed and returned at the back of the block/ passenger side. When I installed the PF4, I reversed the fuel rails and bought the optional FPR so I could connect it to my existing plumbing. This did require me to install my own crossover, the provided one would not clear the distributor when reversing the fuel rails. As a side note I also added an additional throttle return spring which makes the gas pedal easier to modulate IMO.

Since I have it on a 302, I can't comment too much to the fit with a 351w. I do have a 1" spacer between the TB and the air cleaner (using one of the oval Cobra Air Cleaners), and there's still quiet a bit of room. Personally I am betting it would fit just fine with the right air cleaner.

Here's a couple of photos for reference:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts