Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when installing the flywheel, does the position of the external balance on the flywheel matter relative to engine position? can't seem to find any information about this anywhere so i'm thinking 'no' but i just wanted to make sure. don't feel like pulling the engine again :)

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
No, the flywheel bolts holes are drilled in such a manner as to allow the flywheel to line up only one way. You'll see it as you try to bolt it up.

Hank

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
I don't think you can put it on wrong. If you look at the bolt pattern, there is a little difference in the spacing of the bolt holes. I think it can only go on one way. But, make sure to use some teflon based thread sealer or you could get an oil leak later on.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
522 Posts
My 351w crank holes are blind, so I didn't need teflon tap or thread sealer.

Also, I didn't have dowel pins, just bolt it up.

Good luck, Go Fast

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Also make sure you have the correct weight flywheel. Ask me how I know..

·
6,559 Posts
Yep, check the weight. The dowel pins are for the flywheel to clutch housing assembly. The 351 crank flywheel holes are blind. No sealer needed. Most builders use star washers for the flywheel bolts. Put the block plate on before the flywheel.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
So the 351W flywheel bolts don't need the thread sealer? I guess mine definately won't leak from there!

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Thread sealer is not required on a 351, but loctite is very helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts