Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 351 windsor with a 7 quart canton oil pan with the rear pickup for a mustang, it is lower than the lakewood bell housing that people state that the have problem with bottoming out with...the engine is on a engine cradle right now so I cann't tell for sure any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks...later...

[ November 02, 2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: 79pacecar ]

·
Registered
537 Posts
if your engine in on the stand, maybe you can just take some measturements? Place a level across the bottom of the pan, and measure up to the motor mount... Then measure from the mount on the frame of the car, to the bottom of the 4" frame rails.. That will give you an idea of the bottom of the pan in relation to the frame. Good/safe practice would be to have the bottom of the pan above the bottom of the frame rails. To be honest, my bell housing was actually about 1-1/2 inches lower than my pan, but the pan was above the rails, so i just grinded off the bottom of the bellhousing for more clearance. Take some measurements, but i think it should be fine.. That is one of the reasons the Canton is recommended with these cars.. -- Mike

[ November 02, 2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: mjpesky ]

·
3,701 Posts
This is a pic of my 351 with the oil pan off - I was changing to a 8 quart that Gordon Levy sells. I originally was going to use a Canton front sump pan, but it wouldn't fit right and looked to be too low.

The engine actually slopes downwards at the rear a bit. (I am using the energy suspension motor and trans mounts). Anyways, I put those pieces of masking tape across the frame, and measured upwards to the bare block. I had 8 1/8" at the front and 7 1/2" at the back - next to the bell housing. I guess you could also put some spacers under the trans mount to bring the rear up a bit if you needed some extra clearance.

Hope this helps

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
79 Pace car, you have the drag race mustang pan and it will hang over 1" below your frame rails, you need the Canton Road Race pan (15-691) fo the engine and it is above the bottom of the 4" tubes. I 've been there, done that. Any one want to buy my slightly used Canton mustang 7 qt drag race oil pan?

·
Senior Charter Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.