Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to this forum and excited to see all these threads. I recently removed my 302 supercharged engine to put in my beast on a 351 Windsor. I want to put in an oil pan that does not go down past the 4 inch pipes. I have one on and it is way to low to the ground. Anyone have any make and models or sizes that I can look for. I also have an oil temp guage so a model with the oil temp hole would be perfered. I also wanted to hear from anyone who did this swap. The 302 was fuel injected, I installed a fuel pump regulator to bring the pressure down for the carburated 351. Is this ok or should I get a new fuel pump. Any Make and models on the fuel pump would greatly assist me. Thank you all in advance for your asssistance in advance.
Please send emails to [email protected].
Paul

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
Get a 7.5" or less depth pan. You will also need a return line on your regulator if you use that pump.

For what it is worth, I am going with a Kevko pan and a billet Holley external pump. (carb 408w)

·
Premium Member
17,904 Posts
Pretty much any 7 1/2" deep pan will work. Gordon Levy has a very nice pan that users swear by. If I ever need a new pan, that'sw the one I'll get.

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
I have a canton pan that I got from Breeze. I just looked at Mark's site and did not see it though. Mine is a roadrace/autocross pan, rear sump. Give him a call.

·
Registered
585 Posts
In regards to the fuel pump, I would look at a mechanical, assuming your timing cover has the boss for it. They are quieter and more reliable than the aftermarket electrical units. I got a Carter 120 GPH unit for $35 from Summit. That may be cheaper than a regulator and will save the work of routing a return line.

If you stick with your existing pump, be sure it will deliver the volume necessary for the new cubes.

Larry

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
I have this pan on my 351W and it is dead even with the bottom of the frame tubes, in fact the front of the pan is about 1/4" higher than the bottom of the tubes. I hope this helps.

#15-660 FORD 351W
HIGH CAPACITY FRONT SUMP OIL PAN

STYLE: Shallow pan with “ T ” style sump for increased oil capacity. Fits most Front Sump Production chassis except Mustang II.

FEATURES: Full Slosh Baffle, crank wiper, magnetic drain plug, dipstick bung.

SIZE: 8" Deep 13-1/2" Wide, with a 7 qt. system capacity.

STARTER: Works with all aftermarket and stock starters.
OPTIONS: #15-661 3/4" Dia. p/u. for #15-660 ($47.00)
#20-933 windage tray ($58.00) and #20-942 mounting kit ($72.00) for 351W engines.
#20-850 Dipstick Kit can be used with these pans. ($25.00)

·
Senior Charter Member
3,417 Posts
The difference in price between the Aviaid pan and the Canton pan is a couple of hundred dollars. Is the Aviaid pan that much better?

If it's going to save me an expensive engine then it's worth it. But is it?

Is an Accusump and the Canton pan a better choice?

CobraDVM - nice engine!

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Oil pan

Paul,

I have purchased two 351W road race pans, one being the old Quality Roadster 351W canton pan and the other being Gordon Levy's 351W champ pan. They are both well designed oil pans, but I had a heck of a time sealing the Canton pan. Both pans fit even or under the 4" frame rails.

Here is a list of others I looked at: Armando (old quote $429), Aviad (old quote $469), Kevko, Stef's. Milodon and Moroso never replied back to my emails.

I have heard good things about Kevko as well the others, but for me in the end it came down to purchasing from a forum vendor. I hope the info helps. I will let some the others handle the fuel pump questions.

Thxs, jim

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Paul,
I sell the Canton roadrace pan and also sell the Milodon pan kit. Both fit the FFR chassis. I also have the bolt kit, gaskets and I would absolutely use "Right Stuff" sealant. It a bit more expensive, but it seals the best.

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Like Howard I went with the Aviad pan after a bunch of back and forth on the different pans. I like the original look, and knew it was going to fit with the lower motor mounts. It is also front sump which I liked, where a lot of the other pans are rear sump.

-Scott

·
Delivered
2,709 Posts
I have the canton pan from mark also. The back of my pan was a hair under the 4 inch rails so I just spaced my trans mount by 1/4 inch to raise it above the rails. I think marks part number for the pan is 35041. It as worked great and I liked how it already had a bung for my oil temp sender.

·
Premium Member
17,904 Posts
The Canton pan (and previously the QUality Roadster pan) have one glaring deficit. The drain plug was on the front of the sump. With the car sitting flat, that left about a pint or more in the bottom of the pan.

I welded a new drain plug on the rear of the sump. Now it only leaves a couple of tablespoons of oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts