Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Charter Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks, Murph for the suggestion of changing the sublect line ...
I would love to keep the vintage looking 'cobra' air filter assembly, but I do not have enough space between the vic jr intake and the dash/cowl area.
Anybody out there have a solution of getting enough airflow for a 408 ci??? (730 cfm +/-)
Any suggestions or photos would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonathan

PS I have a really great idea for a fix.... Give me awhile and I will post some pics- if it works!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I'm struggling with this right now. 408 with a Victor Jr. I have the K&N Xstream air filter assby, drop base, 14" diameter with a 3" filter. It hits the hood with a half inch spacer under the carb. If I remove the spacer the base of the air cleaner just touches my dist cap terminals. It won't clear with the wires installed.

I THINK a 1/4" spacer will work, but nobody makes one. I'm going to make my own out of 1/4 plywood and see if it clears.

I think if I had the Ford Racing 13" diameter chrome filter assembly, it would just barely clear. Nobody makes a filter top lid in this diameter however.

Another idea is the Accel Kool Blue filter that just came out. It's a rectangular, blue filter with billet ends that uses a velocity stack and mounts to the carb flange. The velocity stack would likely need to be removed.

Sorry I can't say for sure what works yet. I tried to find out here before I bought my Xstream, but it still didn't clear. I think there's quite a bit of difference in the various builds out there. What works for someguys might not work for others.

I'll try to let you know how the 1/4" spacer works out.

PS I have the MSD dist specifically made for use with the Victor Jr. intake manifold.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
The Ford Racing 13" filter will just clear the MSD dizzy.. I've got the same tall MSD, the one for the vic jr manifold, and my oval filter wont clear. The motors not in so no idea on hood clearance..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts