Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you go with a junkyard 351 block with a stroker ( maybe 392) or a donor 4.6????
I need some new ideas and the best choice.

·
Super Moderator
29,377 Posts
392 stroker with stack injection or Webers

·
Premium Member
17,871 Posts
Those are two very differant engines; tough to compare one against the other.

The 4.6 is a very refined modern engine. It will make good power at high rpm's all day long, and get excellent gas mileage while doing it. Go fast parts are quite a bit more expensive. And there's not much room to grow without power adders.

The windsor engines have been around since Hecter was a pup. Parts are everywhere, and cheap. The only thing cheaper to build is a SBC. Since you can add a lot of cubes, you have lots of room to grow w/o power adders. 600hp on motor is not unreasonable.

If you go the stroker route, do not buy a junker and build it up. You'll waste a lot of time and money that way. Stroker motors and kits are so cheap these days, it just doesn't pay to build your own.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
What would you go with a junkyard 351 block with a stroker ( maybe 392) or a donor 4.6????
I need some new ideas and the best choice.
i prefer old school and the small block ford is my choice
just finished a 372w stroker
the 392 can be done from parts or can be bought as a rotating assembly and then machine shop work for the block.
the parts way are from other engines 351w rods with 302 pistons and a 400m crankshaft machined for the stroke and then block machine work also. it depends how much work you want to do are how much you want to spend.
like the difference between building a Hemi and a SBC.
my budget was blown on mine and exceded by at least 3000 grand or more.
but you can't take it with you and i know the engine from top to bottom.
then there is the crate motors all the way up to a turn-key

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts
I'm not sure what 4.6 you are talking about.

My '99 DOHC 4.6 (n/a ) is the quietest engine AT IDLE I have heard. If that's your thing. I'm running 4x4's and FFR pipes. I get 23-24 mpg with a t-45 3:73's and 315-45-17's.

If I did it again I would look for an 03-04 s/c 4.6 dohc

·
Master?
647 Posts
another vote for the 4.6 32v it does idle quiet but it also revs to 7,000 rpm not quiet anymore. take a look at some video I have to get a feel for a 4.6, the performance is there mine ran 12.0 @ 112 1.6 60' time, 0-60 3.2 sec. it is alot of fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts