Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charter Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attemping to mount my oil pressure sending unit on my 351 Windsor. The hole which I think is commonly used is REALLY close to the oil filter. I understand that there's a oil filter relocation setup included with the kit; but I was also wondering if there is another location on the motor to mount the sending unit.

Also, I need some sort of extension which will keep the sending unit from hitting againt the engine block. Some sort of extension I guess. Where do I buy this part???

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Got mine off of the donor. Try a pull a part yard. I'm not sure where you can buy one. Pete

[ May 29, 2007, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: radarpete ]

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Boy what timing! I had the same issue with my 302 block. The port is a 1/4" NPT right next to the fuel pump mount. My electric sender won't fit either.

I'm using a 1/4"NPT to 4AN adapter. I have a 1/8" NPT coupler on the sender with a 1/8"NPT to 4AN adapter. I am going to remotely mount the sender and attach a 4AN braided hose to connect the sender to the port on the block.

Others have used a rigid extension using NPT fittings and reducers.

Bill

·
na
992 Posts
Go to local engine shop and ask for the piece,lookes like a piece of hex pipe about 3 or4 inches long,factory piece of some ford engines,they should have some lying around,it is a hard to find part

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
This comes up a lot in all the Ford forums. If you do a search here you'll find some good pictures.

In early Mustangs (and I'm sure other cars) Ford used a hex shaped extension with a 45* end. Moved the sender out and pointed it up and out of the way. The stock extension is aluminum, and I've managed to break a few.

Most builders use brass or steel pipes and fittings to build an extension.

In the past, I had a rubber hydraulic hose made with the proper fittings on each end. Then I hung the sender off the oil pan with an Adel clamp.

Recently I saw a builder mount the sender to the X brace using a modified coil bracket. He bought a mechanical gauge installation kit with the proper fittings and white plastic tubing to connect it. Pretty slick Idea.

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
I also used an AN setup but I found one thing......You will need a ground to the sending unit because the aluminum AN fittings will not provide a good ground. I simply took a hose clamp and put it around the sending unit with a ground wire to the chassis; or block...don't remember which now.

Whatever you do, don't use a brass pipe. I originally had one and it fractured at the block. Good thing I caught it before I lost too much oil.

Roscoe

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
Try a marine shop. Mercruiser used Fords a while back and they had a hex about 4" long with a male 1/4 NPT" on one end and a Female 1/4" NPT on a 45 degree angle built in. Other marine conversions also used this part, OMC, Harden, ect. HTH's

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
gearhead,
Do a search on my handle with oil pressure and you should see the pis of my $5.00 fix. 10 miles of go-carting an 5 gallons of gas and no problems yet. My fix won't work if you are running a mech fuel pump though. I don't believe there is another location to connect an oil pressure sender, but others will chime in if I'm wrong on that.
SD

·
FFCobra Fanatic
951 Posts
contact npd national parts depot or any other ford mustang cupplier, ask for the oil sending unit extension
npd part # 9B339-1 or 9B339-2
they list for 24.95 ea.
npd phone # is 734-397-4569 for the michigan depot

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Ouch! That part is $25 at Wildhorses. Any other sources?
Sherrell

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
That's a stock Ford part. Been used in millions of cars over the last 3-4 decades.

After I broke one in a '69 Mustang, I quit using them. I want something stronger than cast alum.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
Brass shouldn't be an issue, the Autometer sender adapter is brass. Cheap brass may be an issue, but a good quality brass fitting should be fine.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
I wanted to bring this thread back to the top. Any other ideas / options for mounting the oil pressure sending unit with a mech. fuel pump?

I believe the Ford PN# for the hex extension is 386463-S100 ? Do places like NAPA, Autozone, O'Reily's carry these?

Sherrell

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
I used a couple of pieces of 1/4npt pipe from lowes, and a 90 degree fitting. Cost about $3.00 total.

Scott

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
One of the forum members came up with a good idea. Buy an installation kit for a mechanical pressure gauge. It comes with the proper brass fittings, and some small nylon tubing. Use that to connect the sender to the block, and you can mount the sender anywhere. The one I saw was mounted to the X brace with a modified coil bracket.

AN line would work just fine. If you use braided steel line it will ground really well. But it's more expensive and requires some imaginative use of fittings and adapeters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts