Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if you guys/gals can provide me with some knowledge, direction, and opinion on this. Not even sure if I'm on the right track or not with this idea. I want to do an engine upgrade in the next year or two on FFR2625 and was thinking on doing a stroked 351. Currently have a modified 5.0L. I've been told a few times that the early 70 vintage 351 mexican blocks were the best made because of their beefiness. Is this correct? How would they compare to a later model 351W block? I know they make stroker kits for the 351W but what about an old mexican block? Does it even make a difference? Here's a few additional questions I had too.

1) What were the best years? If I recall someone once told me to look for early 1970 vintage (1971 and/or 1972, but no later), is this correct?

2) What engine codes would I be looking for?

3) where would the engine code be stamped on the block? Same place as it is on my 5.0L?

4) What were some of the more popular and prevalent cars/trucks in those years that came with the 351 mexican block? Looking for ease of finding one in a bone yard.

5) What was the bore dia on these blocks so I could measure to find if it had already been bored or not?

Any help with this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug
FFR2625

[ November 09, 2002, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: d isham ]

·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so was the 302 only casted in mexico and not the 351 block?

Doug
FFR2625

[ November 09, 2002, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: d isham ]

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
According to some articles I've been reading they also made 351's but all the info is vague, some say the Nickel content is higher and walls are thicker as well as 4 bolt main that are stronger and thicker, Carrol Shelby also had to do a lot with this as he opened "Shelby de México" and promoted Racing heavily (articles: ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR),
and lastly:
http://members.tripod.com/lyc_42/fordv8/windsor/windsor.htm
sorry I could not be of more help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.