Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
The pin going through the oil ring is a non issue. There is a steel support ring that goes on before the oil ring. The piston does not drop further out the bottom of the block, so again a non issue. A general observation is that a "stroker" engine will consume a small amount more oil than a stock engine. I will contribute this to the fact that if built correctly for high performance use they will have slightly looser clearances than an OEM engine, especially if they have forged pistons. A lot also depends on the quality of the cylinder finish and piston rings. I know Ralph Button runs 347s in his Roadster and has accumulated over 600,000 miles.

·
Registered
11,815 Posts

My 347 is indeed built with looser clearances as described above. It uses 20W-50 Valvoline Racing oil with zinc additive.

The main girdle was machined down in several places for clearance. (The girdle was made for a high-rpm 302.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Mk3.1 is also 347 equipped. Avenger aluminum heads, engine built by Ford Performance Solutions (which is a different name now) in Anaheim, CA.. I have the dyno sheets somewhere showing about 400hp. I'd like to build a 427 someday, but in the meantime this seems to be able to get me to coffee at Tim Hortons on time.:D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Love Tim Hortons coffee there was one right outside the gates of Selfridge in Michigan. Being low man on the totem pole I ran for a lot of coffee. Lol

I'm loving hearing from the people of the 347 club!!

·
Junior Charter Member
2,889 Posts
I have a FordStrokers DIY (I did the assembly) 347. TrickFlow 185 CNC heads, Weisco custom pistons, SCAT crank and rods, Custom grind Comp cam (.579 / .576 - 282 / 292), Victor Jr and a QF 750 Q series carb. 500 fwhp.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I kinda wish I would have gotten a little bigger heads. I have 170 TFS.

Awesome! Sounds like a beast!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)

My 347 is indeed built with looser clearances as described above. It uses 20W-50 Valvoline Racing oil with zinc additive.

The main girdle was machined down in several places for clearance. (The girdle was made for a high-rpm 302.)
20180530_163131.jpg
This is mine with oil pickup and windagetray

·
Registered
32 Posts
Saw where you had the Inglese for sale. Why did you go for the Borla? Vacuum?
I had the Inglese on initially and didn't have enough vacuum. I'm not the smartest knife in the drawer and had I been smarter I would have just changed out the FAST Easy EFI for the Fast XFI Sportsman system and left the Inglese stacks in place. Saved a lot of $$$ as well! The FAST Sportman system allows you to adjust all aspects of the system whereas the FAST Easy system is self learning but it needs the vacuum! The Sportsman system is a real learning curve for myself. I'm currently taking online classes with HP Academy to learn the system and how to tune the engine.

Thanks,
Dave

21 - 29 of 29 Posts