Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am looking to build some kind of hot rod. It would sort of be like a rat rod. Here is what I'm looking to do:

- This would be a 0-60 or 1/4 mile vehicle primarily. But I would like it to still have the ability to drive normally. I wanted to use the same power plant that I have in my Hellcat Durango. I'm at 1100hp, and it's a great daily driver. But in a really light car, that should give me a great 1/4 mile time.

- Traction. I'm thinking I would have to tub this thing out to get good traction RWD. My Durango is AWD, and I hook up really well. I would be looking to get similar traction. I need help understanding what can be done with the suspension and rear end. For tubbing purposes, would the '35 truck be easier? I really don't need much of a bed. I'm not planning on fenders either, so the wheels can stick out. I don't want them just for show though. I know some of those hot rods with really big tires on tire spacers don't get the best traction.

- Power plant. Like I mentioned, I would use the 6.2L supercharged Hemi with a Magnusson supercharger tuned on e85. Can I get the Dodge TF 8HP90 in there? Ideally I would like to use part of my computer setup that I have in the Durango. If not, I would still want to get some sort of launch control on it. I've been getting some good ideas off this forum.

- Sizing. I'm a bigger guy, 6'5" tall and 325 pounds. I'm a powerlifter, so I'm heavy but it's distributed pretty evenly. I've been reading about moving pedals or getting tilt steering, or even some kind of custom seat. Which model has more room, the '33 car or '35 truck?

Thanks in advance,

Lester Hahn

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 33 Hot Rod project underway. I am 6'2" 230lbs and am surprised how much headspace I still have with the Coupe top on in a Roadster Bucket seat. Best would be to find someone in your area that would let you sit in theirs. To hookup 1100hp on a 2400lb car 2700lb with you in it is gonna require drag slicks, not street tires real drag slicks. Never seen a truck but I believe its identical frame to the 33 so interior fit likely won't change. Not sure on the truck but on the Hot Rod the wheels won't tuck in unless you want to tub it. If not running fenders I wouldn't bother. Attached a photo of rear of my project with 20x345 tires.

Vehicle Tire Car Hood Wheel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 33 Hot Rod project underway. I am 6'2" 230lbs and am surprised how much headspace I still have with the Coupe top on in a Roadster Bucket seat. Best would be to find someone in your area that would let you sit in theirs. To hookup 1100hp on a 2400lb car 2700lb with you in it is gonna require drag slicks, not street tires real drag slicks. Never seen a truck but I believe its identical frame to the 33 so interior fit likely won't change. Not sure on the truck but on the Hot Rod the wheels won't tuck in unless you want to tub it. If not running fenders I wouldn't bother. Attached a photo of rear of my project with 20x345 tires.

View attachment 368761
Thanks for the response. I really like the way the '33 looks! :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am so there with you on the look of the 33 Hot Rod. I have not seen the truck in person yet, so I really cannot speak much about it. I have to admit, sometimes I just go to the garage to just look at the hot rod. Even with only 305 rear tires and only 400hp at the wheels, I can say that these cars are a handful. I do not let my friends drive my hot rod. Modern cars are so good and easy to drive now days with traction, stability and launch control, that you can make mistakes and get away with it. Not in these old cars.

I do not know if you need to tub these cars. If you run without fenders, you can pretty much put really wide tires sticking out. As svassh stated, putting 1,000hp to the ground is going to be hard. Are you thinking of a nonstreet legal drag car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so there with you on the look of the 33 Hot Rod. I have not seen the truck in person yet, so I really cannot speak much about it. I have to admit, sometimes I just go to the garage to just look at the hot rod. Even with only 305 rear tires and only 400hp at the wheels, I can say that these cars are a handful. I do not let my friends drive my hot rod. Modern cars are so good and easy to drive now days with traction, stability and launch control, that you can make mistakes and get away with it. Not in these old cars.

I do not know if you need to tub these cars. If you run without fenders, you can pretty much put really wide tires sticking out. As svassh stated, putting 1,000hp to the ground is going to be hard. Are you thinking of a nonstreet legal drag car?
I want it to be street legal. The truck has a 116" wheel base, the same as a Dodge Challenger. I would like to somehow get launch control in there. If I can use the Dodge Engine/Trans, computer, etc. it might be possible? Otherwise I saw some aftermarket options. My hope is that it runs like my current vehicle. If I'm not stepping on it, there are no issues using it as a daily driver.

I do have experience drag racing many years in older cars. It's been a while, but it was fun. I agree though, my 1000hp Durango hooks up and goes! Just step on it! :)

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Can't answer all your questions. But nearly done building a truck and familiar with the hot rod. So can offer some comments. The two are identical, as far as I can tell, from the firewall forward. But from there back, quite different. The cab on the truck is also very different. The dash is much larger, the roof is high, doors are full with electric windows, but the legroom is very tight. More on that later. The rear of truck is also very different made for the truck bed vs. the trunk on the hot rod. The truck is only available in 3-link with a wide axle. Hot rod has rear suspension options. Truck uses the standard Fox body Mustang tank. Hot rod uses a custom tank. It would be a major change to tub the frame on the truck. Main chassis rails are the same width as the bed sides. Although without fenders, lots of room to the outside. Finally, at the Factory Five open house last month, they showed a prototype of an extended truck frame. They're adding 4 inches to the cab. A much needed change and resolves the main criticism of the truck. The 4 inches will be added to the frame. So the bed is unchanged. The overall wheelbase will be extended. No specific timeline for the change. But the statement I've heard is with the current kit leadtime (in the 8 month range, or more) the new version will be the only one sold at that time. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am usually not in to the fast truck scene and love the look of the hot rod, but I have to say... If I were to start this project now, I would seriously look at the 33 truck. Mainly for the larger interior, real windows, and the gas tank. I like to take road trips in both the hot rod and Cobra. The 15 gallon tank in the Cobra makes trips much easier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't answer all your questions. But nearly done building a truck and familiar with the hot rod. So can offer some comments. The two are identical, as far as I can tell, from the firewall forward. But from there back, quite different. The cab on the truck is also very different. The dash is much larger, the roof is high, doors are full with electric windows, but the legroom is very tight. More on that later. The rear of truck is also very different made for the truck bed vs. the trunk on the hot rod. The truck is only available in 3-link with a wide axle. Hot rod has rear suspension options. Truck uses the standard Fox body Mustang tank. Hot rod uses a custom tank. It would be a major change to tub the frame on the truck. Main chassis rails are the same width as the bed sides. Although without fenders, lots of room to the outside. Finally, at the Factory Five open house last month, they showed a prototype of an extended truck frame. They're adding 4 inches to the cab. A much needed change and resolves the main criticism of the truck. The 4 inches will be added to the frame. So the bed is unchanged. The overall wheelbase will be extended. No specific timeline for the change. But the statement I've heard is with the current kit leadtime (in the 8 month range, or more) the new version will be the only one sold at that time. Hope that helps a little.
Thanks for all the good information, I appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts