Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody make a good quality, reasonably priced, fairly complete Kit for a '32 coupe? Kind of like a FFR, but for a Deuce Coupe.

·
Premium Member
10,832 Posts
Good luck.............there are tons of companies making them.

My Father-In-Law has been looking into them, I'll ask him if he knows of a good one.

·
687 Posts
Gil,FFRed is correct.The average price for a 32 is about 30,000 dollars in parts. This is for quality stuff,no paint or interior.
I`ve built a few for myself and some friends and there is nothing out there that compares to the pricing of FFR.
The best way is to buy a good used 32 and modify it to your needs,they can be bought for 25,000 and up. Hank F

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I saw one in the World of wheels show at Boston. The company escapes me but the car was amazing, even had a power roof. Thats the good news, the bad news I think it started at $70K

·
687 Posts
The Brookville is a beauty and is 10,000 grand,thats just for the main body. The fenders,hood and grill shell are all extra.Thats the price for the roadster,the coupe is more.Hank F

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
Outlaw Performance, imo, makes the best 'glass bodies. Frames are okay. TCI makes the best frames but their customer service and support is pretty much non-existent (get one through a third party vendor like Yogi's and let them deal with TCI if you have issues).

If you go this route, expect to pay AT LEAST twice as much as an FFR and to fabricate a TON of stuff. I don't know of any manufacturer that makes an even remotely complete 'kit' style car. It is definitley not something you want to tackle for your first build, especially if you don't have a very good general working knowledge of automotive components and systems.

Many manufacturers offer bodies and complete rolling chassis' but for engine, trans, accessories, interior, trim and other finish items, you're pretty much on your own. There are tons of vendors that make everything you need but it all adds up to more cash, build time and backyard engineering.

I do remember one company that makes turn-key, 'glass bodied coupes and roadsters in a pretty basic build with an SBC, auto and no-frills paint for around $35 k. If you're interested, I'll find the link.

I have seen protypes and ads for repop steel coupe bodies but don't know of any reasonably priced options as yet. I don't believe Brookville has one available yet either. IMO, steel is the way to go if you can find one. Originals are getting very scarce and expensive.

-- Tim

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information. I was hoping that there was somebody out there that I just hadn't hear of, but apparently not. American Classic Streetrods looks promising though. Anybody have any experience with them? Two cars I told myself I'd always build. The first Cobra I ever saw and Milner's coupe from American Graffiti. The Cobra is almost done so I'm in the planning stages for the Deuce Coupe.

·
687 Posts
Gil, I`ve never heard of them,but that doesn`t make them bad. I would stay with the companies that have been around for some time,Downs,Outlaw Pete and Jakes,TCI and the rest of the big names.
I`ve seen too many people screwed by upstart builders,you get what you pay for. Hank F

·
Senior Charter Member
391 Posts
One other source for bodies is Wescotts. If you want to go and look at a lot of cars, near home, the weekend of the 18th there is a huge show in Kalamazoo michigan, it is the NSRA Nats North, there will be about 3 to 5 thousand cars there. Let me know if you need some more info about it.

Ryan

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Buy some street rod mags and you'll see all the ads you care to look through. Read them for a few months and you'll get a good idea of who makes the best stuff based on the articles and the feature cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts