Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have info on mods to 3 link if 11" wheels are to be used. Pics would help

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
What chassis? If it is a Mk III the typical 315 series tire works on a 17x10.5 w/ 6.8-inch BS as a bolt on with the Fox width rear...

It's not the 3-link you need to worry about with the 315's it is the frame...

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark III, welder by trade. Tell me where to add support or bracing.

·
Charter Member
2,135 Posts
There was issue with clearance on 15" wheels rather than 17" but your talking width...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was planning on using 15" if all goes as planned. Is it the tire or the rim that hits the frame. Is it just a matter of cutting and moving some steel?

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
It is the rim to the 3-link, with the rims like Mark stated above you will be fine. The MKIII's are designed to be able to accept the wider tires and rims. The problem is the 3-link and the rim on the passenger side in most cases they usually try to take up the same space. If you run the 17's they give you that extra 1" of clearence.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,466 Posts
I had to cut the corner of my pass side 3 link bracket off. It was contacting the rim. I have the 17X10.5" bullitt rims with 315's. Mine are on a Mark 1 so I had a considerable amount of work on the frame to get them to clear. I still get a tiny bit of rub on the outside of the body if I hit a dip in the road. I suppose I could raise my ride height a tad until it doesnt hit but I like it low. HTH

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
I have a MkIII with the same wheels as Mike (17"x10.5" Bullitts and 315s at the back with no interference issues. Unless you are dead set on 15" wheels I would go that route - much more choice in tire and wheels
Steve

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts
I have a MarkIII, 3-link, 295's on 15" Team III's, 5-lug and I had problems with the 3-link bracket clearing the rim on driver side and the tire rubbing the bracket on pass side. Richard Oben helped me out by modifying the bracket on pass side (it's close even after mod) and I ground down the bracket on the other. You might want to talk to Richard...

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,281 Posts

This is what I had to do to the psgr side bracket to clear my 10x15 w/ 6.5 in BS wheels.The driver side was just a little grinding.Had to do a ton of work on the inside of the wheel wells to fit the 295s on my MkI. I also recommend you go w/ 17s.You will notice that the OD of the 315x17 is actually less than the od of a 295x15 and that helps a lot.

·
Charter Member
6,158 Posts
I have team III 17 x 11, 7" b.s. on a Mark II with 3-link. THe only clearance issue I had was the panhard bracket shown in the picture above. I had to grind the corner (about .25"). It would hit the 315 tire on long race track sweepers at 100+mph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.