Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Charter Member
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would it take to swap out my 302 fuel injected motor for a 351W, want to keep fuel injection...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,542 Posts
Hey Jay,
You can do this pretty easily. There are a few parts you will need to successfully complete the swap. First of all you will need a 351 with the proper balancer and a 157 tooth flywheel. You have a couple options for flywheels, do a search on 28oz flywheel and you will find the info. Next you will have to get different headers to fit with the 351. You will need a TFI distributor with the correct gear to match your camshaft. They are available from MSD, ACCEL and also stock 86 Ford truck with a 351. You will need a fuel injected intake, they are made by Edelbrock, TFS and also Ford Racing. You will need to lengthen the fuel lines that connect the fuel rails because the 351 is wider. You are going to need Mass-air if you dont have it already. You may run into some hood clearance problems depending on which intake and motor mounts you run. That can be solved by rotating the throttlebody 90* and fabricating a new throttle cable bracket. Thats about all I can think of right now but its a start!

Mike

·
Orbiting FFCobra.com
778 Posts
These threads should be deemed illegal. How dare you enter these kinds of thoughts into the minds of so many vulnerable and naive minds!! I mean, the unmitigated gaul!! I think I'm going to go die now... Thanks!

Mark

·
Charter Member
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about the power of a 302 with AFR heads and intake being close to 400 HP and than to just go with the same package on a 351 but more reliable. To much free time. Just seemed that If I was going to start spending money maybe it would be better on a 351. Either way they are both nice engines....Thanks, Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.