Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to sell the doner I just bought and change my roadster order to go with the new Complete Kit. When I do that on Tuesday, I have to specify what engine I'll be using. I would appreciate any comments on the benefits of 302 vs 351 power (I'm not going to go with a big block). I am also looking at getting a complete engine, ready to run. Using The Engine Factory as an example a 302-373HP and a 351-400HP are basically the same price (about $7200). Any advantage of one vs the other? Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
The bigger engine has a longer stroke, and will produce a little more low end torque.

The smaller engine is also lighter, and will help the car to handle a little better.

The smaller engine is easier to work on, and you have more choices for intake and air cleaner (more hood clearance).

The bigger engine looks better (personal opinion).

You can get the same torque and hp out of the smaller engine, you just have to work at it a little more.

Neither engine is a bad choice.

·
Junior Charter Member
5,413 Posts
Gotta tell you I struggled with this question a long time.
351 is a bigger heavier block. What this allows you to do is to bore and stroke it to a 408 if you want more power. But if 400HP is all you think you really need then I would go with a 347 over the 351. Better Horsepower to weight ratio. You can get a crate motor from T and L with hydraulic roller cams etc delivering around 440HP for around 4000. But this leaves a little work left for you to do.
Engine factory makes a good product but you can finish up the T and L for less then the cost of an Engine Factory. By the way T and L will build you a COMPLETE motor for less then Engine Factory as well if you don't want to do any of your own tinkering.
Here is a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-Ford-347-Stroker-by-NASCAR-BUILDER-Crate-Engine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ019QQitemZ290151773748QQtcZphoto
HTH
Chris

Oh and by the way there are a lot more aftermarket parts for a 302/347 then a 351 and they are cheaper.

·
Charter Member
996 Posts
I wish you hadn't done that Xybram!
That looks like a pretty good deal!! My 302 is pretty healthy, but I'm getting used to it now, and wanting more. Let's see, If I got $3000 for it, that would leave a total investment of....

·
Junior Charter Member
5,413 Posts
FFR 5332 There are several people here who have bought T and L engines and love them. What's 4,000 amongst friends anyway. By the way if you need more help spending money let me know

Chris

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,324 Posts
I picked a 302 based on conversations with some of the FFR guys. When I met Dave Ria down here at Road Atlanta he recommended a 5.0. I'm very happy with my power to weight and awesome torque curve. 300 HP and 300+ Ft Lbs of torque to rear wheels is plenty of "git up and go" for a 2100 lb car, and as stated above you can easly get even more HP. That said, the decision is more based on what you want to do with the car. The 302 also fits a little better in the car since it's not as tall as a 351.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,726 Posts
Go w/ the 351.price is pretty much the same and torque is always nice.I'm very happy w/ my Eng Factory 400/351 but it came in the car.The engine is basically a bone stock short block w/ Edel Performer RPM heads,intake, and carb.The post above about T&L sounds good.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
I recommend you give an engine builder like Gordon Levy or the Engine Factory (both supporting vendors) a call and discuss the pros and cons of different engine combos.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
What oldman too said sums it up for me. You may even be able to get away with a lower grade of gas since the cubes are responsible for the hp. It should idle better too. [with close to the same hp]
I bought my kit second hand with all the 5.0 parts. Otherwise it would be windsor for me.
Check out DSS in Illinois too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm glad to see this string because the new complete kit has me thinking a little more about engine choices too. I like EFI and am curious to know if there is a good EFI set up for the 351 that is as adaptable as the stock 5.0 EFI set up.

Also, what tranny are people runnig with a 351; does the T-5 bellhousing bolt right up to a 351?

Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is a no-brainer. A VERY mild 351 will put out the same or more HP & TQ than a 302,331 or 347 that is built to the ragged edge. My .030 over 351W dyno's at 420 HP & 415 TQ, 9 to 1 CR, idles nicely at 900 RPM.

·
Junior Charter Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning toward a 302 or 347 - probably with mass-flo EFI.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
More is better I suggest getting 500lb springs for the front if using anything heavier than a t5 and 302 engine .It costs the same to build a little motor or a big one Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
5,413 Posts
JohnK1366,

Mass Flo (supporting vendor) has an EFI system that people rave about. Check it out and then search for peoples comments here for their take.
http://www.mass-floefi.com/
HTH
Chris

·
Caress of Steel
2,178 Posts
My first FFR was a carbed 351 stroked to 395, very mild at 400hp and 450ft-lb. The current one is an EFI 302, Explorer intake, GT40 heads, stock cam. Probably 260-270hp and 300ish ft-lb.

Honestly, off the line for about the first 40-50 feet or so, I can't tell the difference - the 302 takes off just as quick as the bigger motor (you can only put down so much). But at highway speeds - 60-100 passing, etc., the displacement difference really shows.

I'll be replacing this donor 302 with another 351 stroker with EFI as soon as financially practical!

Those T&L motors look like a killer deal, but I wouldn't trust a Professional Products balancer any further than I could throw the broken block. (Aren't they the Chinese company that knocks off Edelbrock's stuff?).

·
5,470 Posts
My 65 mustang has a 302 (started out as a 289) and it's a great motor, pretty snappy. But the MKIII has a 351 as I just wanted straight HP out of a straight carbed engine with no significant add ons. Granted, the MK is lighter than the stang, but the 351 just seems to keep on pulling through all the gears. Weight between the 302 and 351 was not a big deal to me as it's not very much, 70lbs or so if I remember correctly, some should know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts