Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Little help please. I have a 302 with standard shortblock, gt40p heads, cobra upper and lower, E cam, 65mm throttlebody, roller rockers and headers. I am looking to upgrade my mass air and injectors. What are your size recommendations for both? What brand sensor should I get or stay away from?
Thanks in advance!
Steve

·
8,275 Posts
Before you buy decide if you are likley to add more performance later. Better heads, intake cam etc, or even a supercharger. Then select the injector size and MAF accordingly. You should not suffer with a slightly oversize MAF meter and injectors until you add the extra HP. If You are planning on staying naturally aspirated then 24lb (with your current combo)or maybe 30 lb (hopped up a little more) should be fine. For a potential supercharged set up I would step up to 42lb. As for the MAF meter I have had really good luck with the Pro-M 80mm meter. And really bad luck with C&L.

·
Senior Charter Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will stay with my current combo. I won't be going to install a blower in the near or distant future.
I am looking to maximize my current combo with upgrades to MAF, injectors and ingition.
Thanks,
Steve

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,542 Posts
You wont see much of a gain in power from injectors and a mass-air. I would recommend a Pro-M 75mm for 19's and save yourself $150 for injectors. If you are looking in the used market, you can usually find 24's for $100 and a Pro-M 75 for $100, otherwise the meter is $175 or so and the injectors (24's) go for around $150. Hope this helps!

Mike

·
8,275 Posts
Mike

If you are not going to chnage what you've got then just free up you intake side a little. Change the MAF meter (still recommned the 80mm) and get the Tiny Avenger intake tube to replace the convoluted stocker. Then try to rig up a cold air induction. I've heard rumors that Cobra Earl will have something real soon. No real need to replace the injectors but if you can find a deal on 24's and a MAF meter used I would go for it.

Check out this one http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=570435

·
8,275 Posts
Wayne

From his first post it sounds like Steve has the Mustang Cobra motor but with the plain 5.0 MAF set up. He has GT40p heads, GT40 intake and E cam. Do you still think that the 58mm stock MAF meter is OK? I would think that it has to be a restriction at this point. It sounds like he has a good combo, if he changes the heads then the GT40 intake will become a restriction.

·
Senior Charter Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,
That is what I was thinking. With all my intake and exhaust mods I was thinking the MAF & Injectors were my restrictions. I am open to other ideas also.
What are your thoughts on ingnition and any other mods. My ignition, other than 9mm wires, is stock as of now.
My goal is to make the most of my current combo. I will never be going for mega HP.
Thanks!
Steve.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Except for a slightly hotter cam, my engine's about the same set-up as your's, and is running really well (Ford's 302 crate engine rated at 320HP) I went with 24lb injectors, and "Pro-M" recommended a 75mm mass-air calibrated for the 24 lb injectors. I also thought that 19 lb injectors were good only up to about 300 HP. (300hp x 0.4 = 120lbs, 120lbs /8inj.'s = 15lbs / .8 = 18.75lbs minimum)I think that's the formula. Perhaps some of the more knowledgable guys can confirm this or put us straight.

·
8,275 Posts
Steve

My supercharged combo runs just fine with the stock distributer MSD wires and an Accel high output coil. No missfire at all. Of course just because more is better I added a Crane Hi6 box. But we tried it with and without the box on the dyno and there was no measurable increase in performance. My plugs are gapped at 0.03" for supercharged use. We may have seen some HP increase if we had opened up the plug gaps to take advantage of the extra energy from the box.

I don't think you 'need' to change anything but if you are going to keep your heads and intake 24lb injectors and a larger MAF meter would be my choice. BTW Mattys calcs above are correct except I would use .5 for the BSFC (the stock 5.0 is a low compression motor) and 85% duty cycle. That gives you enough fuel to be safe at 260HP. 19lb injectors will support more HP than this but they will start to get a little erratic in their performance if they are driven at more than 85%. 24's will support somewhere around 330HP safely under the same parameters.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Steve call the guys at Ford Racing. My 302 crate motor with SVO heads and GT40 intake has the e303 cam and 4into4 headers. The guys at FR suggested I step up to the 30psi injectors because the 24's fall off at 350hp. As for the MAS the C&L offers you the ablitiy to change the sample tube from 19's to 24's or 30's for about 35.00 a tube. I just made the switch and it couldn't be any easier. Just my 2 pennies

·
Registered
254 Posts
My winter project is to have the same motor.
E303,GT-40p Heads, Gt-40 intake upper and lower, 24# injectors. What have you guys done about the fuel pump? Is stock good enough or do I need to go to a big one?

Thanks, Q

·
8,275 Posts
The stock 88 lph pump is too small. I would get a 190 lph pump for your set up. 255 lph would be overkill.

BTW there was an interesting test in one of the Mustang mags a couple of months back where they tested fuel pumps. Quite a few pumps did not meet the advertised outputs. I'll see if I can find the article.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I believe Mike is correct about the stock pump. I installed a Holly 190 LPH pump ($107.00 from Summit). Somewhat less expensive than others, but it looks as though it's well made and works fine. I track the Cobra and have a real fear of leaning out at high RPM. This is also a good reason for not wanting to be under injected.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
I am running the same motor specs (except E303 cam) as yours with the Ford Racing "Cobra Electronics"-24 lb injectors, 70mm MAF and Cobra computer. I also used the Ford racing 190 liter/hr fuel pump.
Best regards,
Chuck
"Mustang Medic"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts