Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 490 Posts

·
Out of Time
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Progress Report - FFR7201

Progress report:

1 month in (actually 2 weeks of ‘work time’ as I was unable to work on her much the first week and not at all last week).

I was waiting initially on suspension parts for both front and back, so I decided to get going on drilling/fitting the aluminum.

Footboxes done, cockpit mostly done, front suspension done (sans hubs/brakes), diff/lower’s in/on & the rest will be in tonight.

Note: marking/drilling aluminum is time consuming – especially if you decide that 1.5” rivet spacing is better than the prescribed 2” or 3”

Thanks all for the help thus far.

·
Finally finished?
538 Posts
Last pic looks like your shock collar will hit the lower control arm under full compression. Looks like you need to dial out the rear hiem joint about 5/8" of exposed threads to move the rear arm forward a bit to help clearance.

Just finished the build school and we worked out most of the quirks. Call me if you want an update.

Otis

·
Out of Time
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last pic looks like your shock collar will hit the lower control arm under full compression. Looks like you need to dial out the rear hiem joint about 5/8" of exposed threads to move the rear arm forward a bit to help clearance.

Just finished the build school and we worked out most of the quirks. Call me if you want an update.

Otis
Hi Rob,

It looks like it, but it doesn't hit - at least at nearly full compression.

On the driver's side, I did the same and also filed down the large spacer (now the front spacer) to allow me to use a washer next to the (back) short spacer side to further center the joint.

On the pass-side, I reversed the large and small spacers to push the centerpoint back. I didn't have time to file the large spacer on that side, but did try to compress it and it didn't hit (maybe 1/8").

F5 could do us all a favor and just re-engineer the X-over.

·
Out of Time
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if you are 7201 and I am 7199 who got the car between us?

Otis
Don't know. Gary (gtfireftr) is 7202.

"Come forward #7200 and be known"

:wave:

·
Out of Time
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted via Mobile DeviceLooks great Hirisc
well on your way....
Thanks Gary.. not nearly as far as you/others, but at least I'm past the hump of drilling aluminum ;)

·
FFR Cobra Craftsman
995 Posts
Thanks Gary.. not nearly as far as you/others, but at least I'm past the hump of drilling aluminum ;)
I have come to a screaching halt!!! I am running lines, waiting for
powdercoat, deciding where to mount stuff (with little success)...
I am trying not to have to do things more than once, so hopefully that
will work... We will see i guess

good job on your build.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Out of Time
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, better to do things 1x.

I have to decide how I want to treat (or if to treat) the engine-facing aluminum so I can mount my F panels before I get too much further.

·
Finally finished?
538 Posts
Follow the darkside and polish them panels...

After seeing a number of cars this weekend I would powder coat them in retrospect. All the cars were polished and the panels get dirty and you would never know they polished them in the first place. Also the panels get beat up fitting them and I am worried that they will get all scratched after I spent that much time polishing. This also applies to powder coat though.

Rob

·
Out of Time
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like JKleiner's idea from here:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246431

I'm leaning toward performing a Scotchbrite pad test on the outside of the F panels to see if I can get a 'satin' look without coating/baking. (I'll never get my wife to OK baking panels in the oven).

·
Out of Time
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got back to building after taking the summer off.

Progress To-Date:

• Nearly all aluminum done - whew. Only had to re-do the driver’s footbox 3x.. (thanks F5)
  • Front and rear suspension done.
  • Front and rear brakes installed.
  • Pedal assembly in (sans go-pedal).
  • Master cylinders (mostly) in - 2 for brakes, 1 pending for hydraulic clutch
  • Manual steering rack out - power rack in. Fast Freddies electric/hydraulic motor, brake lines coming soon.
  • FF Metal battery box fit.
  • Gas tank in - line/s (haven't decided carb or FI) coming soon.
**no, the fuel filter is not installed.. just sitting on the tank waiting for me to figure out where I want to install it.

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Very nice work - looks very clean. I'm impressed!

(BTW - Cool sig!!)

·
Out of Time
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice work - looks very clean. I'm impressed!

(BTW - Cool sig!!)
Thanks very much Howard.

It's nothing close to your level of work, but I'm willing to emulate some of the great builders. I was just lusting after all of your great fabrication and attention to detail.. Really first rate.

Hope you don't mind if I borrow some of your ideas for fuel/brake routing (though our kits are a generation apart).

Re my signature quote.. I saw your response to someone's frustrations one day and it made me laugh. It's the comment that every noob (me too) should have to read and acknowledge before they begin building.

My build has been a joy from the instant I got in the right frame of mind.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 490 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.