Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered three ps racks, two from Auto Zone and this last one from NAPA, all part numbered to be 3 turn racks. First two were 2 1/2 and this last one is a 2 1/4 turn. I'm checking these right out of the box turning the shaft with a pair of vice grips lightly clamped to the input shaft from full lock to lock, the last 1/4 turn or so has some resistance but there is a definite stop on each end. Am I missing something here? Is there any chance that these racks turn more once powered up? By the way, the NAPA unit is part numbered to be a TRW part, came in the same box as the AutoZone unit but with a NAPA sticker on it, must come from some rebuild factory in Mexico that labels all their parts as needed.
Dave

· FFCobra Craftsman
25,999 Posts
Weird- I ordered a 2.5 rack from AZ 3 months ago. Did it online and had it shippped to the house. It's a 2.5 and I was very surprised by the good job they did packing it.

· Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,825 Posts
If you want slower then you need a 4cyl or 6 cyl rack or get a T-bird rack and put Mustang tie rods on it.

14,825 Posts
It's personal preference. I run one that is less than 2 turns lock to lock. Most of the ones I put in customer cars are 3 turn.

· Registered
1,358 Posts
I changed from a 2 1/4 turn to a 3 turn rack and I'm very happy with the change. I went though four racks at Autozone (All they had at their local warehouse) and never could find a three turn rack. I even had them remove the plastic C shaped limiters from one and confirmed it was not 3 turns. They ended up refunding my money and telling me to buy it somwhere else. I found one at OReilly's. My advice is to take some vice grips and test them in the store.

· Registered
1,248 Posts
It's personal preference. I run one that is less than 2 turns lock to lock. Most of the ones I put in customer cars are 3 turn.
Where the heck do you get one of those??

Mario

14,825 Posts
I have a rack rebuilder here in Phoenix where I get all my racks. I tell him what I want and he builds it.

· Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Just a thought but could the racks have had limiters installed in them? My brand new rack from Unisteer came with them installed on each side and I added two more. Scott

· FFCobra Craftsman
25,999 Posts
Johnny, that could be. Carl Williams is now going to try his 3rd rack from AZ. First had bent and crimped steel tubes so ordered a replacement. We checked it last weekend and it was a 2.5 not the 3.0 it should be. I think the rebuilders get them mixed up. I envision 50 racks all mixed together since they look exactly the same outside. Some may be coming back in the wrong boxes. Then I don't envision those guys sticking a vise grip on them to check the number.

· Registered
1,015 Posts
My AZ rack is being exchanged later today. Mine also had similar damage that Carl had and the store reordered yesterday. If this one doesn't work out, I guess I'll order from Breeze.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.