Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in the first stages of my build (roadster), and I'm planning on adding the 3-link and powdercoating the frame. I'll be autocrossing the car occasionally, driving it hard, and I'm debating whether or not I should weld the upper link bracket to the 2x3 on the frame or just bolt it. If I decide to weld it, I'll have to do so before I powdercoat, and since I'm not rolling in the dough, I would have to go ahead and get the 3-link so I can weld the bracket on and save up to powdercoat later, delaying the whole build. If I decide to bolt it, I can go ahead with the powdercoating, no delay.

However, my biggest concern is the safety/security of welding vs. bolting. If welding is that much better, I have no problem delaying the build a few weeks, since I'm in no hurry to get it done any time soon anyway. What do you guys think? Weld? Bolt? Weld and bolt?

Thanks for your help.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,132 Posts
WELD THE SOB!!!!

Nuff Said :eek:

Seev Ya

Jeff E.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
that brings up another question.... I'm going to be installing the 3-link in my finished car. I understand that drilling the two 5/8" holes for the frame mount is a bugger. I'm a reasonably good welder and have considered skipping the bolts altogether. I would weld both sides of the bracket, plug weld where the bolt holes are, then gusset both sides of the bracket w/ some 1/4" plate. Shouldn't take me more than 20 minutes to weld, versus ??? to screw around trying to drill two monster holes. Anybody else do it his way?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
Originally posted by Cobra3657:
I would have to go ahead and get the 3-link so I can weld the bracket on ...
Or you can fab up a bracket and weld/bolt it on until you can buy the 3 link.

Take care,

·
Junior Charter Member
287 Posts
Ok, here's another question:

I'm thinking about ordering a kit soon. If I order the 3-link upgrade with the kit, will this bracket come pre-welded from ffr?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes, they delete the two standard upper control arm brackets and weld in the single three link upper bracket. I plan on adding a couple triangular gussets as well.

Gary

·
7,916 Posts
I am no engineer, but when i installed my 3 link i didnt see why this bracket is such a concern. The adjuster tube couldnt be more that 1/16 wall, making it the week link (no pun intended) in this setup. Is it just me or are we making a bigger deal out of this than it has to be? It looks to me that this adjustable arm has the least amount of force on it in the whole stup.
Mike

·
Registered
690 Posts
Michael,
About 50% of the torque of acceleration is transferred through this link, whereas 25% is transmitted through each of the lower links.

The link is in tension, so .065 wall round steel tube is plenty strong.

The bracket on the 2x3 is in torsion, which makes it the weakest point with the most force applied.

·
Charter Member
750 Posts
I just finished installing the 3-link on my finished car, and like Wade said drilling the monster holes is a real PITA, especially the front hole which is right next to the aluminum, making it impossible to get a straight shot at the spot. I actually used a c-bore and made a 16" extension to get a straight shot at it.That being said, I would weld it on, especially if you have a clear frame IMHO.
Ergie

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Wade, when FFR sells a new kit with the 3-link option, the frame mount is welded only. If you have confidence in your welding skills, I wouldn't see a problem skipping the bolts. You can have the thing welded and repainted before you can wiggle a drill into position.

Happy motoring

·
7,916 Posts
I drilled the holes through the lower part of the tube only with a step drill. Those things work great. I then made a block with 2 5/8-11 tapped holes int it. I slipped the block inside the 2x3 tube and then bolted the whole thing together. Feels prety strong to me.

Mike

[ November 10, 2002, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Michael Everson ]

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Originally posted by Joe Leone aka Oldguy668:
Wade, when FFR sells a new kit with the 3-link option, the frame mount is welded only. If you have confidence in your welding skills, I wouldn't see a problem skipping the bolts. You can have the thing welded and repainted before you can wiggle a drill into position.

Happy motoring
Thanks Joe, that's the way I'm going to go. I thought FFR just welded the bracket on, but it's good to have confirmation. I'm confident in my welding, but I'll likely add a couple of gussets for good measure.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Michael,
I really liked your solution to this. I think it is the best solution if you don't/can't weld.

It's also removable it you want to modify something. Like different holes in the bracket or a heavier bracket material.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, for all you engineers on the board, is Mike's solution a viable replacement for a MIG weld, or is a MIG weld alone definitely stronger?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts