Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE - William posted pictures of the production version of the brace as well as ordering information. See this post .

UPDATE - See William Mapstone's post below for updated info on a production model and pricing info.

Spent some time today making up a bolt in support for the 3-link upper frame mount. The issue was discussed in these posts: Post 1 , Post 2 . I'll post some more details on how the front attachment works (there is more to it than meets the eye) when I get a chance. Also will post some pics of the support out of the car. Note that this is just a mock up and I will use langer bolts for the rear mount. Comments are welcome!

[ May 09, 2006, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: dv/dt ]

·
The Traveler
3,091 Posts
I'd be happy to also buy one and give it a good long road test! :D

·
Charter Member
616 Posts
I would like one also.

Jack

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
I would also like to purchase one. Mine hasn't moved YET but I've been avoiding spinning my wheels since this problem surfaced. Preventative medicine.
Thanks,
Ron

·
Junior Charter Member
45 Posts
It seems from the pictures that the new strut is secured to the bracket with the same bolt that is attaching the link. Is the bolt engineered for both loads? Is the bracket that secures the aft end of the strut strong enough for the additional loads? I think not. However, I am looking at only the supplied pictures and can not see the overall picture of the problem. My solution would be to box in the existing link forward mounting braket. That is to weld a metal plates between the two existing vertical mounting brackets. both on the front and back of these brackets, leaving enough space at the back of the bracket for mounting the link, allowing for up and down movement of the link. If possible, extend these new plate up the sides of, and welded to the 2X3 horizonatal cross tubing. A boxed in braket is very hard to twist.

My comments, Bob

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Rod,

On the forward strut mounting bracket, where you have added the plate with one bolt going through the rod end and a second bolt in the unused lower hole, why not go ahead and make that second bolt a full-length bolt all the way through both sides of the bracket, with a spacer in between the two sides for a little more support?

Steve

·
Feng Shui Master
1,224 Posts
Very nice work!!

·
2,372 Posts
I would also be interested in one if produced!
Very nice idea!

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, so I guess you guys like it! :D Don is right though, I'm not a vendor here so I can't sell them. I would love to become a vendor but I just don't have the time between my real job and trying to get my own car done. I'm my own worst enemy on the latter since I can't seem to stop playing with these ideas.

That having been said, I have approached one of the great vendors here to see if he is interested in manufacturing some of my mods. Totally his decision and if he decides to decline then I will talk to someone else. Whoever it is would have to take over the manufacturing aspect since I just don't have the time. So if you are interested post away and maybe that will pull him over the fence! :D

Cheers and thanks!
:D

Rod

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
now you're cooking with gas

nice work rod....time for me to cut and weld

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
Hey Rod. looks great ... are planning on being in the garrage over the next couple weekends, would love to see it up close?

Jim

·
Senior Charter Member
645 Posts
I would buy one if they became available. Which of your other mods do you think a vendor might want to produce?

1 - 20 of 200 Posts