Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
Cut out the FFR bar and fabed a new one and moved it to the drivers side 5 inches! Perfect... Just need some 3/4 tube and 2 screws...

Drop me a line if you want more info!

Rgds

Rob

·
7,237 Posts
I did what Rob did, only w/ a welder. One thing though....if you do this simple relocation w/ a standard mustang-sized battery, there's no way to remove it from the car afterwards unless you remove the driver's side shock and travel-limit cable (to drop the rear down more), or remove the 3-link bracket (total P.I.T.A.). The stock battery is simply too big to come out through any of the gaps! This winter, I'll be installing Linwood's battery box so I can service the battery from the trunk.

·
Charter Member
3,441 Posts
Thought you may be interested in my homemade battery box, which fits without the welding. The size is 7" * 11" and a height of 10". I used some pretty thin aluminum so I reinforced the box with some heavy 1.5 inch straps all of the material was purchased at Lowes.
Rob Baker

[ December 31, 2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: RobBaker ]

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
I am not sure what you are asking for. The battery box that they give you for the 3-link is a plastic box to be located in the trunk. I did not like that option so I used Linwood's battery box (FFMetal.com) It was super easy to install and looks great. Here are a few pics:

·
Cone Killer
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan, What I'm asking is how the box is attached. The manual says something like 'place the box in the trunk, passenger side and attach the four hold downs to the 3/4" tubing' Pretty vague to say the least but maybe once I get the rear and gas tank in, it will make more sense to me. Although, I do like all of the dropped battery box suggestions that everyone is providing.

Thanks,
RedJoker

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Joker, as you may have figured out by now, building a kit involves a bit of Artistic discretion. The manual, although it has a lot of pretty pictures, usually the pictures do not apply to the point of the build and can confuse you in a hurry. There is plenty of 3/4" stock in the trunk area and in the event you wish to use the battery box supplied, I would trace lines on the underside of the trunk floor, trace the area on the top of the floor where you are planning to locate the box and then remove the panel, drill strap holes that line up with the guide lines you traced for the 3/4" stock and then reinstall trunk floor and drill through frame. Hope that makes sense. That is what I would do if I went that route. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts