Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For street use with 302ci/340HP...
If I don't weld the bracket to the differential axle tube, do I need to use stop nuts or lock washers with the 4 attaching bolts? I notice that none are included (only 4 grade 5 bolts and nuts and no washers at all) with the kit ... Do I need to change to grade 8 stuff?

[ August 13, 2005, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Sherrell ]

·
Registered
523 Posts
The three link was the biggest time user of the build. It doesn't fit and align up untill it's torqued. I had a time getting it aligned. I used grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers. I did this because I liked the grade 8 color, but any bolt upgraded to grade 8 can't be bad. The 3 links preloaded 2%, like they recomend. Launches well, no tire spin, sometimes a little 1st. --2nd..

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
mine came w/ 10.9 bolts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The four bolts that attach the banana bracket to the differential axle tube are "Lawson Tough Torq" bolts. But the nuts are NOT stop nuts - just regular nuts without washers. IS THIS CORRECT - NO LOCK WASHER OR STOP NUT??? (Doesn't sound right to me.)

The 1 & 1/4" bolts that attach the 3-link shock brackets were grade-5 - with 2 washers and a stop nut for each bolt. I made a run to the Ace hardware and replaced the bolts with grade-8 bolts.

By the way ... I've spent MOST OF THE DAY grinding on the banana bracket and finally got it to fit-up about an hour ago. Looks like the brackets aren't fabbed to spec, or they warp quite a bit when they're welded. I'm relieve to hear this is one of the most labor-intensive parts of the build. I'll be glad to finally get it out of the way...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sherrell, I hope you didn't grind to much off the banana bracket. The bracket straightens out when you do your final torque. If you did any grinding on the interior of the tube (banana)
the part that goes onto the axle
or the axle, you me have no choice but to weld it. It might seam tight, but it might slip or worp under a heavy load or quick launch. By the way, I have a 3-link and mine came with high torque bolts and lock nuts. I had to use a 650 lb inpact gun to get the bolts to tighten up. Then I brought the bolts to torque specs.

Carl

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I don't think I took too much off, Carl. It was mostly along the leading edges. The warpage was pretty bad. It was impossible to get the lower arm to align with the hole in the pumpkin. It was so bad I couldn't even get a drift pin in the hole. I've been thinking I would find someone to weld the bracket for me anyway as the arrangement simply doesn't look to me like it could withstand much sling around without eventually slipping...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sherrell, I didn't mean to frighten you about the installation. It would just [email protected]#k to be out somewhere and have something go wrong. A cert. welder only has to make two 1/2 inch welds on the banana side and one 1/2 inch weld on the back bracket for it to hold. Unless you are racing it. Than it should be a full weld and done by a profess. cert. welder because you don't want to worp the axle tube with to much heat. LOL Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts