Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling the 4.10 out of my car. I feel its just a bit low for i think i am passing the power band and not letting the torque pull long enough. I keep telling myself that a 2200 lb car dosent need much to push it. I run a 306, dart head w/ so many goodies its sick,plus a Vortech supercharger A trim.I figure the motor good for approx, 450-460 hp flywheel, but i sent my blower to vortech to be upgraded to a S-trim. The trans is a AOD with many mods and a TCI 3500 lockup converter. I can cruz at 45 in third at 3000 rpm, and 80 in OD at 2800 rpm. Its not the top end or the gas milage, its the fact that im gonna put about 100 more hp and the powerband might come and go that much quicker?????????????? I also have a set of used gears that are 3.73s, but they came out of my old 10.sec mustang w/about 250 passes on it, should i throw them away??? :( :(

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
There are a lot of reasons to switch gears, but this is the first time I've ever heard someone with a car that's clearly set up for the strip suggesting that they're going through the the power band too quickly. That's kind of the point of drag racing, isn't it? Use one of the dozens of free calculators on the web to figure out what your gearing should be for your expected trap speed and use that.

The only reason to go to longer gears for drag racing is if you're running out of gear before you hit the trap. If traction is the issue then work on the suspension, don't give up the acceleration. Unless you're going to run against me of course. Feel free to use 2.73s at that point.

·
Super Moderator
29,434 Posts
John-

Don't you mean "3.73's"?

Keith

·
FFCobra Fanatic
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am under the understanding that a heaver car needs a lower gear and a light car can step down a little.....The car hooks up fairly nice and pulls straight...

·
Super Moderator
29,434 Posts
John-

ROFLMAO!!!! :D :D :D

Keith

·
6,546 Posts
AOD, go with 3.73 or even 3.55.

4.10's are too steep IMHO for a car with that much power.

Stock AOD cars had 3.27's in the rear.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks ozona,i think 3.73 are the anserw....This way im only fine tuning it not too much of a drop..

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
If it were me,I think I'd wait until after the S trim upgrade to decide on a gear ratio.That way through driving it I'd get a better feel for want the engine is asking for as opposed to how I want the car to proform for the type of driving I'd be doing.Just my $.02.Good luck

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
Anyone interested in Ford Racing 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10's at $159.00 a set? I have about 30 sets of gears I'd love to sell.
Thanks,
Mike Forte
Forte's Parts Connection
376 R Cambridge Street
Burlington, MA 01803
781-273-9900
fax 273-9955

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm going to try to use a set of 3.27s first and see how they go (stock '01 cobra carrier). By most of my calculations they should be the ones for me to use. I figure around 525rwhp to start then up the boost if I don't soil my shorts.
I have found with a very heavy car that the higher gear ratio's made launch much easier until you snatch 2nd; then it's a crap shoot if they'll break loose. I've used 3.50s, 3.70s, 4.10s, & 3.42s in my old car.
4.10s were my favorite for personal gratification on the street though ;)

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
I have the 3.73's with my 427w and they were requested by the Engine Factory. The info with the engine stated with the cam in the engine to use 3.73 - 4.11

The 3.73 makes 1st a bit unneeded but wow the rest of the gears rock.. ANd 5th is a wonderful thing...

This is coming from a guy who has been driving around in a 68 428cj with 4.30 and an automatic.. I love overdrive!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.