Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFR Bandit
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running a 1/2" to 5/8" rubber hose instead of the self adhesive foam supplied by FFR on the upper frame rails in the front of the car?

I've heard/read that the foam just breaks down/ disintegrates over time, where as some rubber fuel hose offers a nicer, more substantial- sustainable cushion for the fiberglass over time.

Thoughts- opinions....throw em' out there fellas! :)

·
Banned
2,213 Posts
Good question. I don't see why it would break down though. I'm waiting for the answer also as that foam strip is annoying and slips all over the place after it's applied...and leaves the nastiest mess if you try to remove it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I chucked my “Foam “ from FFR for that area. If I read my manual correctly, I’m thinking this is more of a filler for the gap at this location anyway. I found a piece of material that looks like foam, but feels like rubber, at one of our local ACE Hardware stores. I’m not sure what it was supposed to be used for. Each strip comes about 3 Ft. long. I will go back and ask just what this is and get the information on it. I wanted something like this for the firmness /body support, and so I didn’t have the foam vanish somewhere down the road. My only concern is I may have to trim some of the thickness somewhere to get the body to set where it belongs. My plan is to simply rivet it in place when I have it the way I want it. Nope, I haven’t put it in yet, so no pics of an install.
More to come on this stuff.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Closed cell foam tape

mildly:

See if you can find a source for some of this stuff. It doesn't break down like the cheap hoine door frame sealing foam that you get at Home Depot. You can usually find it in marine stores or online from West Marine. This is closed cell so it doesn't absorb water and it is more resistant to oils and solvents. The adhesive is more heat resistant also. It comes in different thicknesses and widths. Check on the 3M site for info.

On-line Product Catalog:*3M

The 4500 series is the one you want.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...GevUqevTSevTSevTSeSSSSSS--&fn=70070944015.pdf

Ron

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,966 Posts
Not sure how other cars fit together, but my MkII has the body right on those square tubes at the side of the engine compartment. No way any hose would fit in there. One thing to consider is squeaks. My car had the FFR foam stuff that wore through at several places. So I ended up w/ squeaks that I could hear when I leaned against the fender to work on the engine. I pried the gap open a LITTLE and put felt between body and frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.