Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll be finishing FRR3772 this winter (Silver w/ Black Stripes) and I’m Already contemplating another kit build project.

Thanks to FFR and the Great Folks on this forum, my build was a Truly Rewarding experience for me and would recommend FFR, in a heartbeat.

Other than another FFR kit, what would you build with 50k Burnin a Hole in your Pocket?

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
If I wanted something to show it would be a Kirkham 289 FIA, but if I was building for play it would be a Spec Racer with a Levy 5 link rear suspension, injected 331 and a full windshield. No plates, no registration, strickly a track car.

·
3,760 Posts
Corvette GranSport replica. Done right, should be able to build the whole thing under 50 large. Lotta work tho, ain't gonna bolt together like an FFR.

AJ

·
15,282 Posts
The question is so open-ended I don't even know where to start. I assume you don't want to do another Cobra replica. $50k is a funny price point. It's enough to do a GREAT Cobra build, but it comes up shy for a lot of stuff like the GT40. If the math in my head is right, you should be able to put together a pretty decent GTM200 for that price range. Of course, there remains no way to predict when FFR will actually release the kit to manufacturing. I'm thinking that would be a fun thing to do in 3 years or so. My Cobra is nearly done -- one of the first MKIIIs with a modular -- and I'm not cutting any more ground. I'll wait for the builds to be proven next time! :D

Cheers, John

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I want to build a GT40 for my next project. It will probably take more than $50k though, the cheapest kit I've seen is about $38k.

Charlie

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Capt Al-

Another gelcoat driver reporting in from here in NJ.

I've been in the same frame of mind as you for a while....I have paint and interior left to do on 4630, and my mind is wandering toward the next project.

I've been eyeing these for the last few weeks:

http://www.regaltbird.com/

....thinking about building a 428 to drop in one of these. I think I could get into it for shy of 40K, but the "custom" version of this car (shaved door handles, tubbed, rigged for modern suspension) is damned tempting with 450 HP to drop into it. I'm just short of garage space right now :( .

·
3,875 Posts
First choice would be a Kirkham 289 FIA but would not be under $50K Hell my FFR-4000 is at $50K Second choice (first choice for $50K) would have to be an ERA 289 FIA and I'm doubt very seriously I could build an ERA the way I would like for $50K or under. A Corvette Grand Sport would be nice.
Don

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I would build a Ultima. I think you need twice that though.

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
What about a Beck Spyder, kind of a cool car, very wierd how your feet go through the firewall, or at least it seems like that. I assume you are looking for another car, not a replacement?

Jim

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Originally posted by trevor:
I would build a Ultima. I think you need twice that though.
I'll second the Ultima. I am sure it could be done at the $50K price point, if you call in a favour or two.

With a budget of $65 I'd look at a Noble.

If you're looking STRICTLY for a racecar, check out the WestField XTR2. Your very own sports prototype for under $30K. Plus it's light enough to tow with anything short of a Chevy Sprint...

- SB

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
lotus sevens are cool. That would be within 50K.

·
15,282 Posts
Ooh...a Porsche 550 Spyder is a good idea, Jim. And they can be done more cheaply than a Cobra, comfortably.

If an Ultima can really be done for $50k, someone needs to send me some links. :D

I can't second the Lotus 7 idea. I've just never been a fan at all.

I've got a lot of seat time in the Noble. At $65k, it's WAY overpriced -- spent $45-50k on a GTM and have a MUCH cooler car. I've got a couple of posts over in O/T and GTM forums if you want to read more about my experiences in the Noble.

Cheers, John

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Personally, I want to build a GT350. But I'd wait until the new "steel" bodies come out. This is the company that's already put out a whole 69 Camaro body/chassis. Estimated cost is $14k for a totally brand new chassis and sheet metal body. From there, I could see a $50k build making a replica of a GT350 or Eleanor and being able to say that EVERY part is virtually brand new. $50k? Not sure; never really looked into it but just a quick sum in my head would put it right about there assuming I do a standard crate motor from Ford instead of trying to rebuild/stroke a 5.0L/302.

·
Charter Member
2,135 Posts
I picked up a Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing kit. Seems that anything to do with MB for it is going to be expensive, but that's what I wanted.

·
6,559 Posts
You can see a glimpse of the XJ13 Jag on Victory by Design on Speed tonight at 11:00 EST.

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
Well,

How 'bout a Lister? Pretty close to a FFR Roadster though. A really cool resto-mod 65 Mustang fastback/GT350 clone?

I would vote for the Ultima because it is my favorite out of all the component cars, but I think you would be very short of the $ needed with 50k. Same with the GT40. You could do it but IMHO you couldn't do it right.

Are you looking for a wild and wooly car or just a project? What about an old Continental, like a '64 with fuel injection and an AOD. Could make a really cool cruiser or even a daily driver.

[ November 27, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: SloW8 ]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts