Factory Five Racing Forum banner
261 - 280 of 282 Posts
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 · (Edited)
Here's the deal...

1) It's my fault this is taking so long

2) I'm a car guy and have a mental defect

3) I'm a Chief Instructor with Chin Motorsports and have essentially become a bit addicted to going to racetracks ~Once / month and told Mr Bruce to slow it down a bit... I'll be at Palmer Motorsports Park in Mass on July 11/12 then (drinking beer) and at Watkins Glen on July 15/16.

Over the past few years I've gone in both feet with the track hobby, yet still had a few projects here at the house. I now have a spare spot in the garage and a Miata track car that I'm bolting a supercharger onto right now.

Bruce is working on it. Right now I'm working on swapping the 351W from a prior build for a 302-based setup for this car.

It's going to kick-ass. Life is good.

Jim

·
Junior Charter Member
1,315 Posts
Jim,
Will we see the car at a Chin event in FL??!

·
Senior Charter Member
798 Posts
Hey Jim, Can't wait to see this car. I had a barn find in Indiana. Its parked next to my '72 C10.

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Jim,
Will we see the car at a Chin event in FL??!
Yessir. I'll be at Sebring on 7/25 (in a Miatuh). One of my issues now is figuring a date to go see Bruce with my trailer. There is an event at a new track in Pittsburgh called "PittRace" on Sept 12 / 13 that I'm eyeballing. Maybe that's when I'll pick it up. Right now it's 95 degrees in Orlando. No bueno por riveting.

David, you and I both know that truck is just for mulch, glasspacks, and borrowing engine hoists... :) And for knowing what's coming around the corner before you see it...

Jim

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have to say, that's some amazing work and detail.
but... I can't thank Bruce enough for posting the video of the transmission explanation. I'm getting ready to drop the trans out of my 70 Chevy truck and was a bit worried about some of that stuff. Now it's all clear as mud at NASA.

That is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. I can't believe that guy was able to get through that and keep a straight face.

Keep posting the pics, the build is looking great.
Thanks for the laughs.:mf_popcorn:

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Hey Jim, Can't wait to see this car. I had a barn find in Indiana. Its parked next to my '72 C10.

David, sometimes I have The Dumb and didn't realize that is your old car. Gassie told me you got it back. That's really cool. Last I heard, my first one is in France somewhere. France is almost as far as Pittsburgh, but I'll stick with one that hasn't been neutered. :)

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Good to hear from you. I've been wondering also, but thought you'd chime in when you were ready. :)

·
Charter Member
1,606 Posts
Well it's about time. :D Welcome back!!

John O

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Hey John. The plan is for me to head to Pittsburgh to pickup by Labor Day. It's my fault it's been so long... I've been having a lot of fun at the track. I'm excited about the car again. Right now we're talking about the size of the side vents. Should have some updated pics soon.

·
Charter Member
1,606 Posts
Labor Day, Labor Day ! :surprise: You're killing me Jim, I say you're killing me. It's been 3 yrs, and now another couple of months. I'm old, I hope I'm still alive when you complete this. :grin2:

John O

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Yeah, you sound like my buddies. They've enjoyed busting my balls, and I enjoy it as much as they do. They're pretty sure the car is in Nigeria. I could have had it years ago but the experiences I've had in the meantime I wouldn't trade for anything. Ever race thru the uphill Esses at VIR at 2am? Ever been 160mph going into the bus stop at Watkins Glen and then go drink some micro brews with your buddies overlooking Seneca lake? Life experiences.

Besides vents, the hinge for the front end is being reworked. You know how the tailgate on a pickup allows you to recline it back and at some point you can pick it out of the hinge to remove the tailgate? The idea is for the flip front to be completely removable without much hassle, hopefully. Well, I may need one of my idiot buddies to help me take it off. At that point, I'll surely point out the cool mod the Nigerian banker I bought the car from made... :)

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
289 dash... I have a Kirkham 289 dash but may end up using this instead. The hole for the steering column on this dash is a fair amount lower then the Kirkham dash to accommodate the angle the steering column needs to be to pass thru the footbox properly.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Glad to see you are back on track with the build. :)

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
This skin will go on the underside of the hood, to keep it from vibrating like a tonneau cover... similar to the underside of an OEM hood. Steel tube for this was too heavy. This will be glued in a finished off. Still being figured out... the wood section in front of the footbox may be done with carbon or aluminum.

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Well, I'm finally going to get it. Heading to a track event at PittRace this weekend with Chin, then picking up from Bruce on Monday!

Reactions: Geoff H

·
Registered
846 Posts
Post a picture when you pick it up! Want to see how the body turned out!

261 - 280 of 282 Posts